Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Shifting your paradigms since 1984!

I just read some very disheartening news.
After AOL purchased Nullsoft (the team that brought us the awesome Winamp), they got downsized, and now it seems that none of the original team behind Winamp are there anymore! Just another example of corporate power messing up the little guy (even if the little guys make the superior product)!

This obviously means that after the next mini-update, Winamp will no longer be upgraded!!
It doesn't matter to me anyway, I use the classic version 3!

Dropped off sister and her family off the the airport today so hopefully I'll never be woken up early in the morning ever again! I also got another parting gift! The upstairs phone has had some problems with the handset in jack and because of that, there has been some hideous buzzing that the person on the other end of the line and I could hear and it was bane on the conversation. Anyway, they gave me a cordless phone to overcome that problem! So I'm kicking it up with that! Hehe, there's also a speaker phone option and I hope to use that some time soon. I was also told that it has a 1km range so I gotta test it out someday.

I noticed a very funny thing while sitting in front of Airport security today. There's this massive thing now of people having to take off their shoes and put it through the x-ray machine. The big deal? Most of them are women in fancy high-heel shoes! Hahaha, I was thinking if one had a foot fetish, you should work in airport security!! Just imagine it "sorry miss..you're going to have to take off your shoes.....ohhh YEAH..umm just like that...OH baby...ummm..I'm going to have to sit down". It was a bloody good eye opener though. I've never seen the weird combos, like fat girls who have rake like legs and skinny girls who have absolute tree-trunks for legs!

Since we are now in posession of two cars (well three, but two that can be legally driven), I had to drive back from the airport in what I think was THE most horrendous conditions I've ever driven in. Peak time, thunderstorms, low visibility! It was awesome!! I made it back alive, no major problems but I think I need to perfect my hazardous driving technique. I think I'm going to get in the new car when the weather settles down and when I have the traction control system online because that car has way too much power and it's so freakin' high off the ground, I can barely see over the dash, or directly in front of the car.

The other came up with a brilliant idea of having a list of random things to do with music. So this is going to be the start of my list.

Best In Music Awards:

Best Drummers
Lars Ulrich - Metallica. Say what you will about his personality and attitude. This guy is a talented drummer. He hardly ever repeats a rhythm across songs, and he is a near master of the double bass pedals.

Joey Jordison - Slipknot. Yesh, they are mallcore and appeal to depressed tweens. However, this guy is the heart and soul of that band. He doesn't really have any technical skill and he just usually improvises live (as I've read), but this guy is just DAMN fast on every element of the drums.

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater. The other isn't too keen on this band, but even the extremely negative have to agree on the freakish skill of this guy. He taught himself how to drum and he uses a gigantic kit, of which he uses EVERY part. He plays stuff that many drummers simply cannot play. My only gripe with this guy is that he uses a lot of irregular time signatures at random times and it makes it look like he doesn't really know what he's doing.

Keith Moon - The Who. Ahh the late Mister Moon. Easily the greatest rock and roll drummer of all time. He never really knew what he was doing, but he was just a natural prodigy. This guy amazes me. Just watch the video clip of The Who singing My Generation and you'll see this guy's flamboyant drumming style. Even when he's messing around and throwing his sticks in the air, he never misses a beat.

Ringo Starr - The Beatles. I think you can blame this guy for all the generic beats that you hear on the radio today. Of course, when he did it, it was innovative and he looked so damn cool while doing it. I also enjoy a great quote from one of the other three members (whoever they were..hehe) when asked if they thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world and they replied "Ha! He's not even the best drummer in the band"! Haha isn't that just gold?!

Fear Factory Drummer - I don't know his name unfortunately but this guy scares me. Just listen to Cyberwaste by this band and you would think that there's a bloody drum machine going on. Relentless drumming style, I don't know how the hell he has the stamina or the co-ordination to drum so fast and all over the place!!!


Best Singer:

Bono - U2. This guy just has so much feeling in his voice. I've never heard him sing badly in any of the songs I've heard.

Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam. This band has been around for about 15 years now and this guy's voice has never changed. It's so powerful. It's a demented and restrained troubled man kind of wailing. Just listen to Jeremy, his voice is haunting, he's singing as well as weaving a story.

Alter Bridge Singer - I don't know why I do not know this guys name! The other was familiar with him even before he was in Alter Bridge. I think he is probably the best singer I have ever heard in my life. He can get loud and angry, but also sweet and can change the pitch in his voice to match the melody of the song, yet at all times having emotion in his delivery. I hope they get somewhere so I can hear more of his voice.

Chris Cornell - Ex Soundgarden/Audioslave. One of the most distinctive voices in rock history. This guy is such a mofo. He can scream like a man posessed and can also croon like Sinatra. His voice is versatile and can match any style of music today.

Noteable mention:
Opeth Singer - Insert some long Nordish name here. This guy scares me. He has THE best voice in death metal. If the Devil had a voice, it would be this guys. And what's even scarier? He can change it instantly to a pop sounding voice. It's like Justin Timberlake undergoing an exorcism!

That's it for THIS installment, there shall be more to come tomorrow!! Have a nice day folks.
blog comments powered by Disqus