Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Enjoy the air in your lungs

Ahhhh...feel soooo damn full! Had dinner at my sister's in-laws' place. I have discovered that Turkish food is probably my fave all time food. It's just so damn good and so damn plentiful. I've figured that I must have two quests in life!

1. To go to Sydney and track down Chrissie from Girl Tv.

2. To go to Turkey, eat a lot of food and track down Sinem Kobal.

I absolutely pigged out and overate. I can now hardly move, even though this meal ended 5 hours ago!

My sister's family also gave us their second car which means I actually now have a registered and roadworthy car! Hooray!!! Hopefully I can now get back into the swing of late night drives and random skill building. They also left their awesome digital camera, which wipes the floor with the one I bought. Of course, they told me to give it to my bro, but I won't be seeing him for a while. I just gotta hawk myself a multimedia card and I'll be sitting pretty, with some high quality pics baby! Mine sucks cause the quality isn't that good and the pic size is huge. Luckily the other cam is awesome.

I'd now like to take the time to express my fondness for Lipton Ice Tea, Lemon Flavour. I am hooked on this stuff and I have to have at least one 500ml bottle a day. Everyone else says Ice Tea tastes like something akin to a foot, but if that is the case, you can call me a foot fetishist cause I cannot get enough of this stuff. If we are ever lucky to make it as a band someday, I am going to get those people at Lipton to sponsor me so I can just drink loads of the stuff!

I'd also like to express my disgust at every guitar company!! Has it dawned on any of them to make a freakin' guitar with no tuning nuts so that it's permanently tuned to standard?! NO?! Damn them!! Of course, my guitar has gone out of tune due to the hot weather and accidentally having a few nuts moved around. I've tuned it back by ear, but mine are very dodgy to do this with. I need to get myself a guitar with a locking tremolo so that the strings are freakishly hard to de-tune without unlocking both ends of the nut.

Before I get into my discussion of ethics and the law, I'd just like to talk about Ronan Keating. You may remember him from Irish Boyband Boyzone, who later went solo. This guy is the epitome of pop. Cheesy lyrics, decent voice, decent looks. BUT, there is something which makes a big difference - his band. Whether it's his studio musicians or his live musicians, they just up the freakin' ante and play so damn well. I'm quite tempted to say that his songs have some of THE best basslines ever! It also makes his songs sound so much better and I can listen to them on repeat for a long time.


Ahhh so now on to my discussion of ethics and the law. There was a point brought up in the other's fine blog about ethics and morals. I think this is where a definition of terms is needed.

The Law is the law (obviously) - the artificial bringing in of certain societal rules to adhere by, administered by those in power or those in the judicial system.

Now, as I see it:
Ethics - Morals and/or conventions used in a certain cultural institution in order to function without chaos, or to function with maximum fairness. These are usually learned.

Morals - The certain core beliefs of the INDIVIDUAL, which are innate and cannot be tampered with in any way by outside forces, but can be varied by the individual through interaction and learning.


Now, let's take this as a practical example. In Law, the idea of client/attorney privilege is absolute. Now let's assume that a client tells their lawyer that they are guilty. Lawyers are also officers of the court and must do their utmost to ensure justice is served. This brings up an ethical dilemma. Morally, you'd want to tell as many people as you can find that your client broke the law, because nobody would want to help scum! But ethically, you are not allowed to break this privilege, and what you're supposed to do is tell nobody, but stop representing the client.

Morals and ethics are somewhat separate, but it is true that morals and the law are intertwined. But this is where things get a little tough. Which does come first? I don't think there can possibly be a certain answer, it depends on the person's interpretation of what they consider the law and morals to be. Of course, no two people are ever going to have the exact same answer.

I don't believe the law tries to tell people what to do in terms of morals. It just keeps a generalised view of what is best for society (although this is not always the case) in order for it to function decently. The other is correct, it is people with weak morals who break the law.

What's a funny point to make, yet speaks volumes about the topic which the other raised, is that a compulsary class to take for Law is a class called Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility. What the fuck?! Do we not know what ethics are?!!! Hahaha, the other was right! Ethics are enforced, but morals are your own. Stick to them and you'll never stray from who you are or who you want to be.

I cannot possibly think of what else I can add to that topic so I shall end it there. There will be no update to the Joaquin rate list tonight as I could only think of one name, and I've decided to update it when I've reached a minimum of 5 names, per update! Have a nice day folks.
blog comments powered by Disqus