Monday, January 24, 2005

They're watching me!!

My friend was late getting to my place today so instead of watching Ocean's 12, we went and saw A Very Long Engagement. What an absolutely beautiful movie. The cinematography was just stunning and the acting from the prodigal Audrey Tautou made it amazing. I had a tear rolling down my cheek for most of that film, awww how lovely! I need to see more foreign language films, I've been checking out too many brain dead Hollywood blockbusters for ages and it is probably leading to a slight dumbening (muhaha subtle pop culture reference there).

At the insistence of Madame N, I bought The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'm reading The Da Vinci Code first as it's a few hundred pages shorter, which should make it easy to finish within this week, and I can finish The Fountainhead gradually over next month. What a fucking fantastic book! I haven't read anything in a long time outside of college prescribed novels and uni textbooks. I think it was leading to a cultural slowdown and vocabulary stunting on my behalf. Reading for recreation is the tops. I usually read freakishly fast and I do absorb most of the text, but some vital plot points usually seep out. But this book is just so detailed and rich with intrigue that I am reading slowly in order to make sure everything is kept in my head. I'm not that far through the book, I think I'm only up to chapter 6 but I am absolutely hooked. I love big books with short chapters as you can pick away at it in mini breaks because I used to just read massive chunks over many hours and try to finish novels in one or two nights but it just wasn't fulfilling, drawing it out can be fun sometimes.

I taped the last episode of Carnivale, so after The X-Files is up I'm gonna check out the goodness. Have a nice day folks!
blog comments powered by Disqus