Friday, November 19, 2004

And Only Wrappers Were Left....

“This life’s not living baby, living ain’t free” – Fuel (Sunburn)

I think this fuel song is absolutely brilliant. Hell I spent the last 30 mins picking up all the parts of this song, if I played the drums I’d pick that up too. Not only is the verse very innovative, but the solo is just pure bliss. So I thought I’d share a kick ass line from the song.

People have auras. It quite a weird theory, but I think its true. When someone else is feeling really happy, then they can rub off on you and then you too feel better about the little things that are bothering you. I’m sure all of you’ve experienced this at some point in time. So I guess its possible to share the pain, just gotta tune in. But what I am getting at is, if were are really happy, and use our aura to make others feel a little better, does it reduce our happiness?? Is there actual transfer of energy, or does the happiness multiply. Well it definitely doesn’t multiply, else the world would be a very happy place. I think the world consists of more people who are unhappy, than happy. I think our materialist societies are to blame for quite a bit of this, but that will be tommos topic. “The things you own end up owning you” (Fight Club).

I just thought I’d talk a bit about bass guitarists as the other has mentioned it in his blog. Just to shed some light, I was a bass guitarist for about 2 and a half years before switching to playing the guitar, and to be honest they are different things. Sure they look the same, and follow the same scales, but both have a different purpose and application. The job of the bass is one that connects the drums to the guitar elements. This is quite important as give the sound an extra punch, without it it will sound a little bland. So even a simple bass line can be extremely effective. There is nothing wrong with simple baselines, but this is where the issue lies: why does everyone use a five string bass these days?? To be honest its just the “in thing” for bassists. I am completely against people using these thing, firstly because most people are lazy and don’t play well designed baselines an secondly there are enough notes on the 4 string to play anything. If its good enough for Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) none of you should have any issues!!! So I consider the nickleback bassist a poser, what’s he trying to prove. I would also like to clarify one thing, the other wrote that the top two strings on the 4 string and 5 string are the same, that is not the case. The top string on the 5 string is a lower “B” so it makes the whole guitar setup sound lower, and thus heavier. The bottom 4 strings are the same as the 4 string. So for really heavy band, the 5th string is important, but then again they don’t need the higher notes, so they could just remove the bottom string and use heavier strings on a 4 string. All they need to do is change the setup!!! So when ever you see a 5 string you know they just wanna look cool. I met a guy with a 6 string bass, but he used all of them and played some kick ass baselines. So it all depends on what your playing, pick the right setup, and keep things simple don’t add another string if your not gonna use it!! Well this is my opinion, and everyone’s entitled to theirs.
blog comments powered by Disqus