Friday, October 22, 2004

Two peas in a pod...eaten separately

I'm not sure about making this a big one for today. I managed to sleep 12 hours last night. That's what University does throughout the week, sap your strength until you just give up! Don't worry though, I have amassed a fairly good lot of notes in my blog notes to expand on over tomorrow and the day after. I guess my lack of anything to report probably stems from not doing very much at all today. Got up, ate, watched tv, that's about it!

Classical guitarists scare me. People are all like "wow rock/metal guitar, they are awesome, they can't be beaten" and whatever. I'd like to point out that 99% of classical guitarists are probably better than the best 10% of any other genre of players. They are absolute freaks. I saw an infomercial (yesh I am a loser) and some guy called Esteban was peddling this acoustic he had designed. Anyhow, he did a demo and he was just freakin' amazing! Fingerstyle players are evil! If I had more co-ordination I would switch to pure fingerstyle so I could grow my right hand nails out and paint them all sorts of fabulous colours! In light of that, I would like to point out this link:
http://www.donalder.com
On the homepage there is a link for a video clip called Dr Dr. I'd advise you to go watch it if you want to see how good guitar can be in the hands of a master. That also reminds me, Tommy Emmanuel (arguably the greatest fingerstyle player in the world after Chet Atkins) is playing at the Royal Theatre very soon. I'd like to go see him but it would probably be very expensive and during my exam time so that's out of the question, oh well!

I know it's an old cliche, but don't ever judge a book by a cover. I think the biggest case in point I have experienced is in High School. When I was in year 8 (or 9), music was compulsary. The two instruments you had to take were keyboard and guitar. Of course this was a long time ago, before I even cared so needless to say, I was rather shite at guitar but decent at keyboard. Ohhhhhh, how I wish I could go back in time with my skills now! I'd blow them all out of the water I tell you. Anyhow, there was a girl in our class (who shall remain nameless) who had a very nasty reputation for being promiscuous (although, even in her own words they were warranted) and all the other presumptions which came with that tag. Anyway, some friends and I were just messing around with the whiteboard and trying to self-educate ourselves on some basic musical theory. Then all of a sudden, we heard an absolutely wonderful melody flowing out of the grand piano in the music room so we all turned around to see who it was. We expected to see our gifted musical teacher showing off once again, but it was indeed the girl I mentioned. Even then I knew how technically complex the music was and what degree of skill was required. An amazing classical piece, such beautiful execution. I was in shock after then. From then on I knew it was a bad idea to make presumptions ever, I still do it, but I am not so quick to do it without learning something myself.

Les Femme Anomaly!! Haunting my thoughts! I can't think properly in a normal way! Ahhh! Do I think I have a shot? I do not know! I just do not know how she feels. The good ol' pessimist in me is saying give it up and just enjoy what I have now cause I will be no doubt disappointed very soon.

My brother has come from interstate for the weekend to see my sister off who is going overseas again so I am in less than a neutral mood! That's it for tonight folks, have a nice day!
blog comments powered by Disqus