Thursday, October 21, 2004

Tapping without taste

Ahhh, the meds seem to be working their magic. A lot of the side-effects have worn off so I'm feeling much better but I'm still far from 100%.

The contract law quiz was not bad at all. I actually thought it was much better than the week 7 quiz. I also took a lot longer to make sure there weren't any traps that I missed (which happened a lot last time). My tutorial group was made to do the test (which is online) in a computer lab in the Engineering/IT building which I have passed many a time but have never been in. It is absolutely stunning from the inside. You'd think the Law building would be the nicest building on campus but I was wrong! Such a shame they're axing Engineering in a few years to save on costs. Hopefully the building will still be around for student use.

I think I have to enjoy the coming weekend as much as possible. It's my last free weekend before I start hitting the books for exams (my exam study timetable consists of 12 hours study and 12 hours sleep). Considering the sheer amount of material in some of the classes (and the relative difficulty of the others) this is not going to be an easy task.

Interesting blog title for the other's post. Time travel. Is it possible? Of course, the key is travel at light speed. The question is can mass be moved that fast without something nasty happening to it? Can we harness the energy required to do this? In physics, the theories say the speed of light is the ultimate barrier to conquer, where nothing can be predicted and a lot of the laws of physics break down (don't even get me started on black holes). I remember in High School, a classmate of mine said that the light-speed barrier is only a minor obstacle and should be viewed like the sound barrier (which caused a lot of trouble for physicists before Chuck Yaeger broke the barrier), that there will be a collateral effect (IE sonic boom) but then everything else will be fine.

I do think time travel is possible, but there are just so many theories which could apply that it would be ridiculous to just go into them all. Without getting into a discussion on black holes (and possible wormholes at the singularity which lead to other black holes or universal dead ends), if we made something move at light speed on this planet, time around them slows down (slows down but does not stop). Once that thing has slowed down, it is in actuality "younger" than the things around it. What happens at light speed? I don't know, but if it's nothing and we do eventually conquer this barrier, there is a potential fountain of youth (think of the possibilities).

With materials on the planet, sheesh I don't know. I think if there was a ScramJet type device which perpetually got faster (on a craft with basically no air resistance), there's a decent chance. But it would most likely need to carry a gigantic ass magnet to warp the temporal field around it so it could travel a lot faster.

Anyway I am feeling a tad sleepy so I shall hit the hay. And to the fans I say have a nice day (notice the rhyme)?!
blog comments powered by Disqus