Saturday, October 30, 2004

Music edition!

I thought that it would be good to have a special music edition of my part of the blog. As my profile will tell you, I like all genres of music except for hardcore yokel-like country music ("well everybody, grab your cousins and steal a kiss" hehe)! So my taste is pretty wide. I really enjoy virtuoso stuff but I can also appreciate simple melodies.

So my thoughts? The greatest band at the moment (in terms of sheer skill) has to be Dream Theater. My only gripe with them is that their songs drag on for ages, their keyboard player should play piano instead, and for a classically trained singer, their vocalist has such limited range. But other than that, the musicians in the band are easily on top of their respective fields at the moment.

I really love story telling in song writing. Just good every-man (Death of A Salesman-esque) type songs. The songwriters who apply this to their songs are Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp. Once you uncover the lyrical depth and hidden meanings in their songs, you realise that these guys are true poets (cept for Mellencamp, he just makes simple observations).

Best find for 2004? Alter Bridge and The Red Sun band. I'd advise you not to ask any questions and just go and check them out!

Biggest shock? Sum 41!!! I've only heard one song off their new album 'Chuck' but I've got to say that they have totally changed their sound into hardcore, with a good political message (it's borderline thrash metal)! I am just in awe at how the hell it was possible, they've earned my respect. Think of a band like Metallica all shirtless and dancing all poppy like to a Britney Spears song, that's the kind of turnaround I'm talking about here.

Biggest letdown? Jane's Addiction breaking up (again)! Dave Navarro deserves some effin' respect! He's the best new wave guitarist in the business. Also right up there with the let-downs is Kirk Hammet's solos being cut from the St. Anger album for Metallica. Don't get me wrong, I am one of the few that liked the album, but the guy is a legend when it comes to lead guitar. Why have him play the same stuff as the rhythm guitarist?

What made me happy? The formation of Velvet Revolver (Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and the musicicans from the original Guns N' Roses lineup)! Slash is back, children!!! Bow down to a masterful self taught guitarist!! He brought blues into hard rock (let's not think about Led Zeppelin and Mister Page).

What made me sad? Jet winning so many freakin' ARIA awards. They are sellouts and are being aptly rewarded for it. Well that's it for tonight folks, hope you enjoyed.
blog comments powered by Disqus