Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Too Many Things & Other Dreams On A Whim

Valentine's Day today and they were handing out roses in the city (fake of course), with packs of condoms attached. Is that what we've come to? The sexualisation of everything now? It's meant to be a day about romance and innocent fun, but I guess if we are going to push things too far, this was the natural consequence. I suppose others will say that it sends out a good message to be responsible, but hey if we are doing this, why not give out condoms with easter eggs?

Whoever markets this day must be making an absolute killing! Strawberries have gone up incredibly in price, they are just fruit!!

It appears that my landlord has ripped me off for the past few years by having not had the heating unit in working condition, which is apparently is a standard clause in the rental agreements. Looks like I'm going to have to take them to court on this, which I am very happy to do!

I am looking for fun and a bit of danger in my life! No drama though, don't really need that.

Isn't it odd that I just want to sleep all the time? Even if I'm not tired, I just want to be in bed and hope that when I sleep, that I just won't wake up. Ahh to be so lucky.

Private Detective (sic) commented on the post below in regard to my annoyance at the country code appearing in the URL. Apparently, it is to know where the blog is being moderated from, as well as being a new thing in Google's revised Privacy Policy.

Ok, why do people need to know where this blog is being moderated from? It should not matter, the internet is a free place of open ideas. The laws should not apply here. When there is something you believe you cannot stomach, use your bloody discretion and avoid it - rule 101!

Google is no friend of freedom or free speech. Once it went public, it all went downhill. Sure, Larry and Sergey became rich and were able to implement a lot of new ideas, but the sheer nature of corporate finance does not lend itself well to innovation. Why? You are always at the mercy of your shareholders. If you do something that's going to be controversial, you will lose funding, or your company will take a hit on the market because nobody is nuts enough to touch you. Imagine if Galileo was the CEO of a company while making his discoveries? Do you think they would have done well after the Catholic Church came down on him? These new privacy principles instituted by Google are a sign of weak-willed corporate executives, who have failed in their directive to "do no evil". They have bowed to shareholder and lobby/stakeholder interests that have dictated that if you say something that someone doesn't like, they will name your ass in a second and you will be open to litigation.

So thank you, Google. I use your products and support your company (and have since the late 90's), and this is how I am repaid? The internet is like nothing before, and now it is open to regulation by countries and laws pertaining to certain things (eg. defamation) can be fought over using the internet as evidence. The legal system has not properly recognised the value of technology (when has it ever?), so the best way to apply the law is to make an argument by analogy, which is not appropriate when it comes to technology.

It makes us all less frank and fearless. I've said things on here knowing full well that they were wrong, or controversial, and if I'd said them in public, or on any other forum, I would be in a shitload of trouble. If it happens to me, I'll just rely on this being a blog - a web log. A diary if you will. A diary to myself that happens to be online, for my own musings. Reading this diary is tantamount to knowing where I keep my diary, and deciding to hold me accountable just because you do not like the things I say on it.

And dear Google: rule number 1 of regulation - if you change the rules of the game, then consult, consult, consult. When that's done, consult again! This isn't bloody opt-in, my life is on here, I cannot just give it up and move it over. It's like we're being held hostages for someone elses poor decision making skills.


I really hate it when I am reminded of you. I don't like driving near your suburb, which is hard because you live so close. I'm kind of glad you're gone, but I still have to go by the places where we enjoyed the sunshine together. Made love in. Kissed in the rain. Hid out in the darkness. Lived out our fantasies and adventures. Now you're gone. I think I see you from time to time, and I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. I really wish we'd never met. Then I would never know what I was losing. Never know what I had given up.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus