Wednesday, September 06, 2006

With Pointed Heels, Victorious Victorious Steel

Yes, I have returned! I thought I would have some leeway between my previous post and this one so that the others could have some uninterrupted posts and what excellence has arisen as a result! Some great insight and some awesome pics!

Oh and just a quick reminder about the long awaited update of the Joaquin rate list - I shall update it when I have no substantial blognotes left (which means it shouldn't be for a while because of my backlog and stuff to talk about in general).

First, let's clear some of the backlog shall we?

I enjoy wikipedia. In fact I think I am actually addicted to it. If anything crosses my mind, I instantly hit it up on wikipedia (and if it's a tv show, I look up imdb.com too). Like seriously, ANYTHING, even a random thought, I will look it up there straight away. I've blown a good many hour just browsing randomly. What annoys me even more about the site is that you can be there to check one thing, but so many facts and interesting tidbits lead to other groups, which in themselves are subgroups of another subset and you just get lost for hours. Anyway, at university (well the other's and I at least) most faculties have banned the use of it because if it's peer mediated nature. I think this is a double edged sword. With peer review, you do get things such as immediacy, and the opportunity to get more than one point of view on a given topic. However, due to the lack of professionals, there are still many mistakes. This is compounded by the fact that one is required to cite by using any external website. As we know, many maniac can just go out and make a website saying whatever they want. This is enough for an accredited citation on wikipedia, and thus there are bound to be mistakes construed as fact.

I really hate the way Win has treated George Lopez. I LOVE that tv show. It is actually genuinely funny, and does not require slapstick to get laughs. They used to show it on Saturday afternoons. Then Saturday mornings. Then it got taken off air and put back at like 5am on Sunday mornings and then it disappeared again! Seriously, what the hell?! It is SO much better than all these other shite sitcoms which currently pollute our tv screens, it's just not fair. It's one of the VERY few shows that actually make me laugh out loud like a psycho. This isn't good for my family because I usually watch the taped eps at like 2am the next day. On top of that, there are no downloads or dvd's!! How am I meant to get my fix of Masiela Lusha?!

I am actually pretty proud of my break routine. So far I am getting up steadily at 1:45 pm and straight to work until the evening, where I watch tv till about 12, and then either a game, or quizmania or more study. I have finished a lot of assessment so far and I'm quite proud. As the other will attest, it is such a sense of relief and accomplishment to get work done early because the quality is always better and you have more time to do other stuff. However, I still have some more stuff to do and I probably will be tied up until the start of the next term.

What's scaring me lately is that Garfield (my favourite comic strip) has changed somewhat and Jon (his owner) actually has a girlfriend (Dr Liz, Garfield's vet). This has changed the dynamic of the story somewhat. I don't know how I feel about this because one of Jon's main quirks is that he is a bit of a loser and a lot of the better strips revolve around Jon's attempts at wooing women. This has introduced a bit more of a positive vibe to the strip, and also has started to introduce a chronological sequence of events which I think is a bit strange. The only thing which is continually brought back is usually Garfield's birthday (he actually does get older as the comics progress). But perhaps it's a good sign overall, because I think it would be a tad defeatist of Jon was to remain like that for the rest of the strip. Maybe I'm overanalysing it a bit!

In reply to some of the other's good statements: I have seen Hustle, approximately 2 series worth while it was on the ABC and yes, I loved every second of it. For a BBC series it was rare to see something so incredibly engaging and intelligently written (with the exception of Red Dwarf). It's just brilliantly acted and the script is sublime. I can't wait until the next series! In fact I must see the earlier episodes because I did miss them before I just decided to randomly start watching, and I'm glad I did!

Yes, the other did make a good point about journalists as gatekeepers who can determine the sphere of public knowledge without being questioned. However, I disagree with most of our communications teachers who state that this convergence in media ownership does not effect stories. Of course it does, even if it doesn't do it overtly, it is always in play behind the scenes, and that in itself brings the whole profession into question. We need more journalists, we need more media owners and we need better restraints on current media conglomerates who are running amok (crap, blogger is a google entity)! Journalism is a flawed field, yes, but not as much as law (hehehe), so I'm screwed either way!

As I have explained, I am hooked on Quizmania. It's this bloody awful show on Win from midnight till 3am with mundane "trivia" questions (I use the term loosely because it's just ridiculous some of the questions asked, as well as the nature of the main game which is just a form of gambling due to random probability). However, one of the hosts, Nikki Osborne is quite possibly the most desirable woman I have ever seen due to her bubbly nature, common sense, entertainment ability and yes, down right good looks. In fact she's earned a place as my display pic on MSN. Due to her, I now watch this show whenever she's hosting and I find myself unable to do anything else while she's on screen.

The other mentioned that he procured Rome:Total War for me but unfortunately due to a cd fault (on the final cd) I was unable to install it and must continue procuring it in the same manner I was using before. But it's all good because it means I am getting work done. However, I did download the original demo and the Barbarian Invasion expansion demo last night and I LOVED EVERY BLOODY SECOND OF IT. I cannot wait to play the full game. If my main method of procuring it fails, I think I may actually pay for the game, wow, yes pay, because it's that good!

The battles were just gargantuan and it was everything I thought it would be. I easily made it through the tutorial battle and as Hannibal in the historical battle I easily butchered the Romans in the battle of trebia. However in the expansion I did lose the first battle as Arturious (only because they killed the other general while I was too busy chasing down spear mofos, I was still winning the battle), however I did rematch and win the battle decisively.

However, as Attila the Hun vs the Romans, I was absolutely routed in humiliating fashion. I lost ALL my men in a vicious battle and I took it personally because I did not use tactics, I just rushed headlong into battle and paid the price as Attila was one of the first to die! As such, I must have a re-match tonight (after Nikki of course). And I am determined to win damn it, it was humiliating!!! I must play the full version of this game! I just know I won't get any work done as a result!

Tomorrow will see us re-living some of the great moments in gaming history. Have a nice day folks!
blog comments powered by Disqus