Thursday, September 07, 2006

Great Moments In Gaming History

As promised, tonight I bring you great moments in gaming history. This section shall cover a rather large period, since I don't remember when most of these events actually occurred. All I remember is that they happened, and they were grand.

So let's get on with it shall we?

Moment #1:
Many years ago, I stayed several nights at the other's house, and we engaged in a 3 day Playstation Royale. On the first night we made it a point to finish Resident Evil 2.

With me acting as the controller lackey and fire fighting monkey, and the other as the tactical officer, it was an interesting night.
Our first encounter with the licker had us freaked out and set the tone for the rest of the game. Our first run was with Claire, and as such we stacked up on all the best weapons and ammunition with her. Easy run none the less. However, our second run with Leon was much harder as Claire had flogged all the best stuff in the first run. Big mistake! We should have shared stuff across, cause this run was bloody insane. However, our prayers were answered with the heavy machine gun and we just wasted all the zombies. Enter the boss...Nemesis (well not really since he's in Res 3, but his clone thing that was in Res 2), we then went nuts...and since we had used our high powered weapon on many low rank zombies, we ran out of ammo. This left us with the pistol and several bullets (the second lowest weapon in the game above the knife). In a moment reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan's finale, I told the other it was an honour to work with him, and just proceeded to stay still and make the last stand with the last of the bullets. On THE last bullet, Nemesis fell! It was perhaps one of the greatest victories I've ever had! In fact, we were so consumed with joy, we wasted a good many seconds before we noticed there was a countdown in order to escape the underground base! Luckily we made it out and it was a good game.

Sorry to break with programming but I must say Jade McRae has the best legs in Australian show business. Too bad she isn't THAT good a singer. We now return to original programming...

Moment #2:
The next night we endeavoured to finish Driver 1 in one night. After many attempts on the mission Supafly, we eventually did it! I don't know how, but by mixing up the attempts between the other and I, it was incredibly easy! In fact the last mission was probably one of the easiest ones in the game.

Moment #3:
Several years later, after I was given an American version of Driver 2 and I had a relative stay the night. We endeavoured to finish it in one night. However, these missions were bloody ridiculous! This game made the second one look like a walk in the park. Unfortunately the final mission was beyond our grasp, and to this day I have been unable to finish it in the time limit. But for sheer attempt, and the brilliant novelty of some of the driving that occurred that night, it deserves a spot on this list.

Moment #4:
I am the greatest prodigy at fighting games. Any straight fighting game I can punish anyone, regardless of whether I have played the game before or not. It all began in the early days with such great games such as Street Fighter 2 and Art Of Fighting. However, my TRUE greatness was shown on the Virtua Fighter and Tekken series. I was definitely unbeatable, as I used to practice almost 8 hours a day on those games, with no break. I had mastered all the characters and every special move. However, a serious contender came in the form of my friend's younger brother who was hell bent on beating me. Haha with good reason too, since I was incredibly arrogant while playing, with taunts and jibes (much like my guitar playing) to my opponents as I was mopping the floor with them.

As Tekken Tag Tournament came out, we started to engage in Team Battles, where 8 fighters would take on 8. In a competition we were in, he brought out Kazuya first against my all time best (which among others included Paul, Law, Hwoarang, Nina and Jin). I was butchered even though I was using some of my best tactics. I was mostly caught up in that quick 1-2 punch of Kazuya's and his hip kick which is at mid level, which makes it incredibly difficult to block effectively or counter. I lost all my characters to none of his. It was a humiliating defeat. He then reigned for several months as Tekken champion.

Then many years passed and I had not played the game, while he had still played obsessively. I avoided playing anyone in this time but he eventually goaded me into a re-match to decide once and for all who was the true master of Tekken. Enter team battle mode. I picked the same team, with the inclusion of Kazuya as my final go to guy. He brought me down to my last guy, and with Kazuya using the VERY same tactics I butchered all of his 8 characters and I won in convincing fashion! He was shocked and I retired from competitive Tekken on the spot! I've never touched the game since!

Moment #5:
At a fighting game tournament (as I said above I was a master of fighting games), I played Kessen and I was doing well, however another friend of mine owned the game and was quite proficient. He took me to the third round, in which we proceeded to pound the crap out of each other, and we were both in danger zones and he came with a rushing attack, which looked like certain victory, until I countered at the last second and sent him flying, in perhaps one of the best moments of all time!

Moment #6:
Haha this one is a bit bittersweet. We were on a school trip for something in high school and we had a 2 hour unlimited session at an arcade. A friend and I decided we would try to finish Time Crisis 2 (which was relatively new at that point). We weren't very good, because we were sort of new to the game at that point and we lost many credits. But due to attrition we eventually made it to the boss and my friend got killed. Then I was left to fend for myself, but getting badly beaten. I was down to my last health bar and time was running out and another friend wanted to go before our 2 hours were up. So thinking it was all over, I gave him the gun. 2 shots later, seriously 2 shots later he killed the machine and had won the game!! I was shocked! But I was happy that I was integral to his name being on the bloody high score list!

Moment #7:
The other and I were wasting time at the same arcade last year while waiting for a movie. Since we're both poor students, we couldn't pay to play any of the games so we just sat on the Nintendo Gamecube system they have set up there and just had STACKS of fun playing Mario Tennis and Mario Party. It was a riot and it kept us entertained. Not bad for free!

Moment #8:
This one arose last night. As you can probably guess, after much trepidation and fear, I decided to face my demons as Attilla The Hun, and take on the Romans at the Battle of Chalon. This time, by using tactics I routed the enemy quickly, but right near the end, I accidentally sent a grouped unit to take on these long range horse drawn missile things and Attilla was killed. We still won, and I think Attilla's sacrifice was warranted. After my victory I had a re-match, and won in even more convincing fashion! However, my entire force was on lower ground, and in a rain of arrows, Attilla fell again! He was the only one that died in that wave! It was strange I tell you!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this installment of great moments in gaming history. My next update will probably be to the Joaquin rate list. Yes, I do think Jade McRae is sexy. Have a nice day folks!
blog comments powered by Disqus