Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Coffee Club Isn't Culture Club

I will never understand the western obsession with coffee.  To me, it appears to be 21st century slavery by another name.  There's all this talk about fair trade coffee and what not, but the simple fact is that if you consume coffee or chocolate, it is most likely being sourced from areas where the workers who pick the coffee beans and cacao are being treated absolutely horribly.  They work many hours for very little pay, especially when you factor in how much profit the big multinational coffee and confectionery businesses are making.  The way economics and free markets are driven, fair trade coffee is generally more expensive, so of course there will be other operators who will seek to maximise profits by ensuring that employees are paid less.  Therefore, nobody really wins, except the lazy fat coffee drinker/chocolate eater who isn't really concerned about the plight of your average brown/black person in some third world country.  So long as they get their fix, they couldn't really care less.  Ok, chocolate I understand, it's sweet and it comes in so many varieties.  But I can live without it.  If tomorrow, someone took every chocolate bar away from here I would still survive.  But coffee?  Man, people can't function without that.  I don't drink coffee, I don't see the fascination.  It's so bitter, tastes like ass and people are drinking cup after cup and getting all jittery about it.  I think it's the caffeine dependency kicking in.  It's just like any other drug, you get them hooked and they can't see the forest from the trees.  You take coffee away from westerners and there would be rioting in the street.  People would die!  Why not just take coffee out of the equation and just inject caffeine directly into your bloodstream?  Is that going too far?  People don't care!

I'm a little zombified today.  Didn't get much sleep last night cause it's a return to normalcy, or whatever the hell that is.  Anyway, it's not something that I enjoy.  There's no routine.  Or if there is, it's not good.  Also didn't end up playing a whole lot of guitar which kinda sucks.  Maybe more tonight.  I need more time to just sit and play without any objective.  It'll be good that daylight savings is over this weekend, I'm looking forward to extra sleep and generally laying about the house.  I've already explained how stupid daylight savings is, so I won't cover it again.  Stupid daylight savings. 

There needs to be no hesitation, it just has to be there.  There and then that's it!  Wasn't I impeded before?  Perhaps, but we all come to grief in one way or another.  I've learned some good lessons from the most unlikely people.  There's chances and opportunities out there.  You just have to know where to look.  And I guess that's half the problem. 

And just like that, I'm running out of time.  Too much to do, I should have completed all my stuff while I had the time.  But yeah, that's the story of my life, isn't it?  Gosh, it's only 11am!  I want to go home!!  Damn, I realise that last night I forgot to link to the JRL in my most recent post.  That's ok, I'll fix that up some other time.

Here we are, abandoned just like always.  There's nothing to do.  I could fall asleep right here if nobody spoke to me.  What I need right now is a slap in the face and a nice warm bed to sleep in.  This is all stuff I've learned before.  But nobody is affording me the opportunities.  All I need is time.  And time is something I don't have.  Time is something none of us can buy. 

All day, everyday, making an April Fool out of you.  Now is the time to decide.  Decide then act.  There's no two ways about it. 

Things be getting crazy!!

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus