Friday, April 13, 2012

If I Can Remember How To Hate, I Can Remember How To Love

I remember a long time ago in college I was having GF issues. So I enlisted Lizzy's advice as to how to change my situation. She informed me that the best thing to do was just ignore the gf. I thought this was incredibly odd, but nevertheless, I listened. I ignored her and then BAM, I had an in and the GF came running back and was sorry for anything she did. This really horrified me! Why do women cave in when they get ignored? It taps into something related to female issues of abandonment and resource allocation. This is why women tend to get more upset over things such as emotional cheating compared to actual physical cheating. Play hard to get, or just
ignore her, it works, and that's terrible! Women, why are you so complicated yet easily manipulated? I just don't understand.

Had an interesting discussion at work about economic models. I don't pretend to understand economics. There's only a few basic principles I understand, and most of what I've learned about economics has been derived from Freakonomics. But what we discussed related to growth not being able to be constant in any model. If the system is infallible, then of course world superpowers would change over time. This is proven true by reference to previous rulers and dynasties - Roman Empire, Ottoman, Mongol Empire, British etc. What we're seeing now is the gradual decline of Western superpowers. Economic principles have determined that growth is stagnant in these places, and that other places have to pick up the dormant slack in the market and carry on. It's all just part of a cycle, really. What I don't get is why people think that these things will last forever. Do Americans really think that their world standing will always be where it is? I bet the Romans thought the same thing, until one day, it just wasn't there anymore. Then again, the Romans could not have destroyed the world at the push of a button...

Damn it! I was just in a meeting and came up with some very good things to write about, and now that I'm back at my desk, I have promptly forgotten what I was going to say.

I read an interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald (again, I need to stop reading that) which mentioned in passing the recent building of video game arcade out of boxes by a kid during his holidays. Apparently he is from a low income family, so had to attend work with his father during his school holidays. The article mentioned that if he was a middle class kid, his holidays would be overpacked with a stupid amount of activities to keep him occupied. That's the problem, if he did fall into the middle class stereotype, he wouldn't have had the time to spark his creative interest. Then again, things are also a bit tenuous with the working class, because
if kids cannot have an outlet for anything, then they will turn to crime (though I'm sure this is true of any person, it is not class specific).

From where I am, I can see the moon in a clear blue sky.

So what's the deal with this One Direction media hysteria? I laugh because they recently came to Australia and a lot of teenage girls are doing the teenage girl thing of screaming and just acting without an iota of common sense. But what seemed to be really interesting was the way in which their fans react to news of having girlfriends or showing interest in girls. Apparently there is quite vicious abuse
across social media, and directed in person to the subject of their desires. But it doesn't stop there, there are death threats and various other nasty things said. I think parents are enablers of this kind of behaviour. A lot of the time parents facilitate their children's behaviours by not setting boundaries and so on, so in the
event that one of these girls goes stir crazy and kills a girlfriend of a member of one direction, I say blame the parents. Not only that, these things are just a phase, and they will fall out of the spotlight soon. Girls will grow up and their tastes will change, and they will become just like Hanson (who are incidentally also touring Australia now, but lacked the same hysteria that they used to generate).

What I will never understand is the human default position to accept the status quo. Why do people work like they do (i.e. work jobs that they hate), to scrape together a living? The paradigm at the moment doesn't make sense. Will humanity ever rise up and seize its own future? Will people just live life and do what they want to do? It is possible, yes, but not under the current capitalist system, not unless you exploit people to manufacture things for you cheaply, when you can sell it for high prices after marketing it to idiots who think they can't live life without your product.

I've gotta say, I've been getting down with Tumblr lately and it's good! Just wish they would make it easier to find people!

Has anyone seen the prequel Star Wars films? Haha, of course you have! Do you remember Coruscant? It's the planet that is entirely made up of a large sprawling city. It's just a planet city! I think eventually Earth will head in that direction. If we keep populating the planet, it will lead to far too many people with not enough land for each person. We are seeing the shrinking of agricultural land and the expansion of cities as the country areas are slowly but surely abandoned. It's a possibility, yes, but how unsustainable would that be?

Some points to ponder!

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus