Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blasting Projectiles Of Hate

So it's old news that Facebook has purchased Instagram for $1 billion. This has set off a lot of alarm bells, as it is a crapload of money to pay for a company whose product doesn't make any real profit. It has recently been discovered that Facebook applications on mobiles have been surreptitiously running in the background (even when closed) to collect data from people's phones, such as through texts and e-mails. It is also no secret that computer based versions of Facebook also mine your data. Instagram collects information about users such as locations and what not. Facebook usually can't access this sort of stuff, so it would make sense to pay a significant amount of cash in order to gain even more information that your application could not ordinarily possess. Smart move! Damn you Zuckerberg! He is like an evil genius. Not just that, the Instagram folk are incredibly rich now, considering how little the development lead in time took, and how long the application has been on the market. But good on them! If only I could program! But the other can!

Had a good time playing guitar on some pretty old songs of ours last night. What's better is that they're all unfinished ideas. I think there is something there that could be worked on! In fact a lot of stuff! I've been paying attention to the lyrics of all the older stuff, and I think we have to finish stuff! Just working on one thing at a time and we can knock them over. Looking forward to playing some
of the recent stuff tonight. The other has managed to capture a lot of where I am right now.

I wish it were Friday already! I'm looking forward to just sitting on the couch with my vanilla coke and watching good game.

I've got to buy Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA San Andreas again when I get my new computer. I had pirated versions before, but since I enjoyed the games so much, I think I would be happy to pay for them, even though they won't be played very much. I want to see how they look on a high end machine. I'm listening to Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It and I'm resminiscing about just cruising around San Andreas at night listening to the House radio station and just bloody enjoying it. It's been a while since I've been able to enjoy anything.

I've also been getting back into watching movies when time permits. It's a welcome distraction from life I suppose. I'm also looking to finish the last lot of books that were given to me so I can get on to stuff that I actually want to read!

Just thinking about a hilarious story I remember from a few years back. A group of friends and I were in an overpriced pretentious lounge bar for drinks and Lazza brought up an issue of guys buying things for girls in a social setting. Now, speaking from personal experience, I am happy to buy stuff for friends, regardless of gender when out, be it drinks, movie tickets, food etc. But why do girls get
so uptight when you offer to buy something for them? They usually don't accept and will give you some money. Lazza said that her mother had told her "when a guy buys you something, he expects sex" and she stands by that. Do all girls think that? I definitely don't expect it! I'm not even thinking about it. It's not about being some white knightesque style douchebag, because I do it for all my friends. Frankly, I find it a bit insulting.

Read an interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald today about piracy. The article claimed that piracy is driven by hyper consumerism. I have to say that is a point I agree with. Modern capitalist society teaches us that if we work hard, we should be entitled to purchase that which we want. However, output is so grand
it is virtually impossible to actually afford to buy the things you want (or advertised that you should have), that piracy seems like a legitimate prospect. Even factoring in inflation, stuff like music was much cheaper all up of 30 years ago. But now artists release less songs per album, but put out albums on an almost annual basis, and the price of these things has skyrocketed (let's ignore MP3 formats here).
When more artists are being promoted and the mass media basically mindfucking the public, you feel that you have to have more! So of course people will turn to things such as piracy in order to feel satisfied.

Society just wants us to have everything, but neglect the things that really matter, like personal development (if unrelated to job skills), and family time and travel. Gosh, I really need to get home and pee.

Also, if you get the chance, read this blog:

Click Me!

Randomly stumbled across it and it's a great read! Think you'll enjoy it, it's written by a very clever person who is great with words, and it's written with a lot of humour and a lot of heart.


What's that? A post without mentioning you? Yeah, you're damn right, bitch.


Joaquin out
blog comments powered by Disqus