Thursday, April 11, 2013

No Life In Dreams


Have a lot of travel to do next month.  I'm actually looking forward to it for a change.  It'll be good to get out of here, even if just for a little while.  It'll be sort of like going on holidays again, I guess, in some sort of bastardised way.

Got some good guitaring in last night, and even just sitting at the comp noodling around, I came up with some new chord combinations that I'm very happy with.

So, in line with blogging about more intellectual stuff, how about this time we tackle American politics?  America has been so caught up in the idea of fighting terrorism, that it has been completely blindsided by developments in North Korea, which is absolutely hilarious when you consider that they are close allies with South Korea, and have a significant military presence in the region.  How did this happen?  How does a military superpower like America suddenly get caught out by North Korean threats of military action?  It's because they were wilfully blind to the threat.  With all this trumped up 'war on terror' they have convinced the public that a bunch of poor, uneducated idiots in caves are a vital threat to their nation and way of life.  Yet, a rogue State like North Korea, which has nuclear capabilities, as well as one of the world's largest standing armed forces, has been allowed to develop nefarious technology unchecked for decades.  Granted, most of the saber rattling at the moment is probably all just talk with no intention of carrying through, but since the US has absolutely no idea what could happen, I am just utterly amazed.  That's the thing - the oil companies and military suppliers/contractors and all the other global multinationals that can profit from war and destruction have too much power in the political system.  If you can sway the politicians to do something in exchange for money, the public can easily be convinced that something is real when it is not, or that something is fake when it is very, very real.  The threat from terrorism is negligible.  The threat from a State backed war machine is infinitely more worrying.  But if you turn around and start chasing red herrings to placate an angry public (post 9-11), then you're bound to be caught out by the real deal sooner or later.

And so the King falls, and society crumbles, as did Rome. 

What really irks me about the media is that it seems to portray the concept that injustice and unfairness can only happen to Westerners.  Absolutely not true.  If you understood the things that go on in the third world, on a daily basis to the point that they are regarded as common place, then you would be utterly shocked.  But you don't care, because these people are not worth anything to you.  They are expendable because they are different from you.  Well let me tell you what, they're the same.  They have the same fears, hopes and dreams.  It is just because they are not in your face all the time that you find it so easily to discount them.  But as these populations increase faster than the developed world, you will see giant waves of immigration and what not as people fight for resources and land.  We're on the tipping point here, where the industrialised world will be overtaken by the third world (most likely from the inside), and there will be reparations for the exploitation of former colonial behaviour.  Just wait and see.  The world is going to become an interesting place over the next 50 years.  Well more so over the next 200-300 years, but I'm not going to be around for that, unfortunately.

Well that brings up another question: if medical science suddenly developed a pill that would greatly expand your life, would you take it?  Well I guess that depends, if you could live to 175, would that mean your body and mind would still degenerate?  Even if you stopped ageing for a certain point and then just dropped dead at 175, I don't think I would take it.  Humans are meant to die.  It's better for the environment, it's better for your fellow humans.  There is no hell but immortality.  Even Heaven sounds terrifying.  There is respite in nothingness.  Or even darkness with consciousness.  Nobody wants to see the light.

Wish the weekend would hurry up and get here so I can devote more time to guitar.  I should learn a bit more about chord theory (i.e. what the Roman numerals mean) in terms of tonics and formulae and what not.

Thinking about getting a new motorbike, but I'll probably just wait for a while.  Don't really have the time to ride anymore.

Looks like we also have to buy a new car because our Holden Viva is so crap.  Well I've blogged about it before, so I don't need to go on about the design and safety flaws of it. 

My phone contract has also lapsed, so I will probably get a new phone - the Samsung Galaxy S4 looks pretty good.  I'm a little sick of Apple and their crappery, and being stuck with the iTunes interface to operate my phone and music.  It will also be nice to operate on the 4G network.  Looks like I'll have to make a carrier switch though.

Ahh money money money.  Always about the money.  Nobody can really save for anything.

But then again, do you even need any of this crap we supposedly have to have?  I can get by with my iPhone until it dies.  Our car has been fixed, so we can drive that until it dies.

This has been another slack day at work.  There's no work to do.  Why am I even here?  Should I even be complaining about this??

Oh man, have just over 2 hours to go until I'm done with the day, and on top of that, I'll have my flu shot shortly.  This will inevitably lead to pain and discomfort tomorrow, but I won't be able to stay home.  Should make the next couple of days interesting, especially since it's Friday tomorrow.

What is the deal?  How do I deal? 

Ok, just had my flu shot, and my left arm is already going dead, not good.  At least the nurse was stupidly hot.  I saw her and just went :O  She was that attractive! 

Still no plan for games tonight, I'll save that for Friday.  Will get all up in some youtube though!  Got into a bit of it last night, but not as much as I wanted to.  Despite getting my butt into gear relatively early, I still went to bed at relatively the same time as the nights I gamed.  What the hell is up with that??  Too much time wasting in the evenings.  I'll rein it in tonight, and then on Friday I can let loose again.

Ok, just 45 minutes to go until I'm out of here, so I might as well just leave it there.

It's been a monster post, it's good to have a return to form!

Hope you've enjoyed it, too.

Take care of yourselves.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus