Wednesday, December 11, 2013

That's What We Thought

Or at least until we said it. Singular thoughts are the way to go. Not these cluster thoughts, they're like block chords on guitar and they are just weird and obscure. It's my goal to exercise my full complement this week (6 days), after all the damage I have done to myself over the weekend. But I am feeling better - besides my back which is incredibly sore. I'll put that down to the silly relaxed way I sit at work. Gotta try to sit up straight and work like that instead. I can sit like a git when I'm at home. Speaking of home, I got into some brilliant guitar last night. The other laid the groundwork for a lovely demo he calls "I'm writing this letter to you" and the chords are just spectacular - open and airy but still mysterious. I played it for ages, as well as a really bluesy Stevie Ray Vaughan influenced track I came up with a few months ago. It's really funky and a bitch to play, it's fun! Gotta get back into it some more tonight. Unfortunately I still haven't read more of my novel! It's a shame, because it's getting really sinister. Judge Holden (or the judge) is spectacularly creepy. Is he human?! He has to be the most unsettling character in any book I've ever read. Hmmm, I've got work to do, but I'm on a roll here.


Why is Telstra the shame of a nation? You might think that Australia is a developed nation, but there are some areas where we definitely fall behind on certain infrastructure matters. One of them is definitely internet/telephony services. The world is moving forward with fast internet and well priced data plans (from the US, to parts of Europe and extending out to Asia). But Australia has very slow internet, which is incredibly expensive compared to the amounts of data quota that you're allotted per month. I've already blogged about my recent woes with Telstra, and how this situation came to be. As you may have guessed, I am still without the internet at home, so it's been well over a week now. I have rung up numerous times (for a total of over 3 hours) and been lied to by numerous call centre staff about the nature of the fault. Now they are telling me that it is unlikely to be fixed until the 18th, so that's well over 3 weeks that I won't have the internet. That would be ok if I wasn't spending all this money on services I can't use, and blowing through my phone credit on chasing up problems from lazy, incompetent call centre staff. They will be compensating me in full, of that I can assure you. Even in third world nations that I have had the pleasure (and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way) of visiting, it is possible to get incredibly high speed satellite connections at a reasonable fee, but not in Australia. Why are we falling so far behind the rest of the world? It harkens back to when I was overseas in 1999, and it took me 30 minutes just to check my hotmail! But without the internet I am definitely a lot more productive at home in terms of guitar, and reading (hopefully), and just general chores. I am sleeping earlier, but for some reason I am still tired when I wake up. Perhaps I am just accustomed to not sleeping enough and being able to recover? Anyway, this is just a note to say that Telstra is a disgrace to Australia. But thank god for blogger+! Great blogging platform. In fact, I should probably extend its uses to the other social media it supports, but I'm comfortable with just the blogger support.


I'm fascinated by the concept of evolution, and how we came to be where we are today. You see some genetic variation in every other living thing, but with humans it seems very complex. Why do we all look so different from one another? With animals they have a few spots in different places, but most of the time they look exactly identical. What is it about us that results in this kind of amazing variation? I mean we're closely related to chimps and other forms of monkeys but they don't display anywhere near this kind of variation. I always find it hilarious to read comments on yahoo news articles (which for some reason attract all kinds of right wing nutters, despite being a leftist organisation), where stories about evolution are harshly criticised by hardcore religious people who talk about creationism and those who believe in evolution will burn in hell - absolutely hilarious. But there are some interesting questions about evolution. We all evolved from the same single cell, but doesn't it stand to reason that every subsequent point of evolution should still be around? I know there's the concept of survival of the fittest, but there should at least be some remnants of early man still living. Or were they all just bred out? Are our cells so dominant that it just overtook everything closely related in our family? But shouldn't that also mean monkeys shouldn't exist? I want this missing link! I have a lot of questions! Man, we're all just glorified monkeys, but we're the only ones stupid enough to wear suits and work in jobs that don't really mean anything, and don't better society as whole, and feel miserable in our artificial lives. Get back to nature!


I'm not sure how I'm feeling. I'm sure there's an opening somewhere. Jesus! It's 11am already! I better get some work done.


We are all losing, we are all lost. Snapshot this moment in time. As you read this sentence. Freeze time right there. Everyone you know, everyone you will meet, everyone who exists at this very moment will be dead in the future. Reduced to nothing. How does that make you feel? Is anything worth it? I love reading wikipedia at work, cause I mostly read physics based articles. I want to understand the universe more. The how and why. But the why is the hardest question.


I'm slowly plugging away on work and getting by the day. But with 2 hours to go, I'm definitely looking forward to getting the hell out of here. What does the passage of time reveal? How can some people who are born in the same year look incredibly different in terms of age?! Even with similar lifestyle factors. It's a shock to the system, that's for sure. How can you know anything?


Where did these people crop up from? Born after me, they are taking over the world, and I am left leading a large scale retreat from existence.


I'm done for today.


Joaquin out.

blog comments powered by Disqus