Thursday, December 05, 2013

Change In The Weather

Am I relying on the wrong information? Am I reading too much into what's in front of me? I'm usually speculating on all fronts. But sometimes the hunch goes nowhere. Then what was that feeling? Things have gone dark all of a sudden. There's something going on out there, but it's all passed or it's all back. There's a chance, there's an opportunity. Things have changed, or it could all be coming back.


What I find troubling in this day and age is crowdsourcing. I know everyone heralds it as the new wave of entrepreneurship and innovation, but at the heart of it lies a terrible issue. If people can't seek their own private funding, they open it up to the public in exchange for perks (the more you donate, the better perks you get). Ok, but essentially doesn't that mean you are seeking funds from individuals who could have spent that money on more charitable endeavours? All these people throwing away all this money on somebody elses vanity project. Cause if the idea was really good, they would be able to get the relevant funding. So as per usual, it's the poor people who suffer, because people will find excuses not to give to those less fortunate, and instead blow their cash on petty things.


I'm also not enjoying this recent trend in music where young, white female performers (Joss Stone, Adele, Lorde, Amy Winehouse, Pixie Lott etc. ad nauseum) who are lauded as the next big thing in music and are critically acclaimed for their vocal skills. The issue is that they all sound like seasoned, 40+ black performers. The issue is that while these women pick up the awards, album sales, and the millions of dollars, real seasoned coloured performers are still working their menial jobs and being underappreciated at their actual gigs. Where's the justice in that? It's all about marketing and advertising, so just be a bit more discerning about how you spend your money.


I recall a really wonderful event some years ago when I had stashed some birthday money (and other cash) into an envelope and left it in my drawer at home. Then I left it for a couple of months and totally forgot about it. Then when I was reading old birthday cards I found like over $100 in cash! Hahaha it felt like all my Christmases had come at once! I've never had that sort of luck since then.


Oh you don't want to know what my biggest ambition is. I'm looking forward to reading when I get home, and also returning to the gym. Just been too tired to do anything in the morning these days.


Le sigh, still 3 hours to go until I can get out of here. That is unless I leave early. It's an option....hmmmmm! I've done a fair bit of work today but I don't feel like doing anymore.


Just cop it on the chin and keep going, I say. But it still depresses me. It's a different world out there. One probably not for me.


The problem is that I wish I had more to say. Perhaps blogging everyday has killed my creativity. Perhaps it's like a well where you only have so much, and it needs to be replenished in order to be useful. It's been a busy day. Just 45 minutes to go until I can get out of here. And damn it! All this work is just coming out of the walls! I was meant to be making time for other crap now, and this is definitely not useful.


But where there's a will, there's a way. And I think there's a way. But is there time?


Joaquin out.

blog comments powered by Disqus