Friday, January 04, 2013

The Internal Metronome

It's important for rhythm and tempo, especially if you want to sing too. But I lack it. All sense of timing comes directly from the hands. I don't know why I lack it, or maybe it's something I need to practice in terms of keeping a steady beat, because I like to play a little bit behind, sometimes a little bit ahead of the beat. It's very fluid, sorta bluesy, but I think I actually fit more into jazz than blues or rock and roll, except for when I play solos.

Rigidity, form and structure. What are those things? Do they challenge us as human beings? Are we naturally liberal, and do these things help us hold on to the bus because we are so scared of the future? I always think about how people live now compared to how we lived long ago and just laugh and wonder about how people could be so stupid. If those people had remained conservatives their whole lives, we would still be living the same way, and life would not be as it is now. I just shudder to think about how life will be in the future, in terms of how they will look back on us and laugh. I mean where could we be so wrong? Obviously the racism and the sexism. But there's also the lack of action on gay marriage, immigrant rights and what not. Who knows, there could be no more States, maybe even no more countries. Just one people, one currency. The idea of the standard nuclear family as we know it will make no sense, and for reasons of financial and personal security, polygamy will probably be allowed.

Has it all been lies?

Food for thought.

Joaquin out.

blog comments powered by Disqus