Thursday, January 24, 2013

More Than Friends, Less Than Lovers


Looks like everyone is keeping secrets from me.  Big ones, little ones.  Everyone is holding back from me.  How sneaky.  Everyone has their secrets, I suppose.  You're keeping secrets, there's only one I need to find.  Thank you Patch, and the rest of Motor Ace.  Oh Dave Ong, you were a great guitarist, I wonder what happened to you?

I was reading an article today that Bindi Irwin had her article regarding population control edited out by Hilary Clinton's e-journal.  Apparently it's a controversial theme?  Well I'll be damned, because I think it's a conversation we have to have.  Earth = finite resources.  People = infinite ability to reproduce.  The final result of that equation is not good.  People are bad for the planet, we're like a cancer on nature. 

Unfortunately, that is a necessity, as it makes our lives easier.  As things get tighter as more people are born, more wars will start over land and resources.  But I think at the heart of it lies something even more sinister - race and class.  Poorer people tend to have more children, and matters such as birth control are not discussed in places such as Africa, India or China.  This brings up allegories of the third world vs industrialised societies.  Should the only people who are allowed to procreate substantially be your typical white, educated masses?  Wow, let's not even go there.  I think we're at a crossroads now.  Humans can decide if they want to live sustainability and increase our length of time on this planet, or just let the status quo rule and doom our future?  We're all going to die.  Or maybe we should just totally overpopulate?  Here's my rule, the larger a population is, the more that is require for innovation and intelligence to shine through.  Ergo, only the greatest ideas get to flourish.  So if we have let's say 20 billion people in the world all of a sudden, maybe a few of them will be able to develop a clean burning and renewable energy source?  A cheap mode of interstellar transport?  Terraforming abilities?  Now that's something to get excited about.

Ahh, it had been a while since we've had some intellectual discussion on the blog, so it's a relief to get back on song with that.  Hopefully more while I still have the chance.

Cut my nails last night and the vibrato is just coming phenomenally to me right now, I'm loving every second of it.  Better make the most of the 4 more days I get of guitar.

The world is changing.  Every single day, it moves on in a seemingly unitelligible direction.  It concerns me, because at graduate camp for my first job, we engaged in a ridiculously complicated task to build towers, with rigid rules in place.  There's just so much going on, since you're working in teams, and a lot of other people are working in total isolation.  You think nothing is getting done, and then at the end of the exercise, somehow, everything is complete, and really well done.  I never quite got that experiment/game.  All it proved to me was that by slacking off and being lazy in a team, other people will pick up the slack and get the work done.  That's not a good lesson to learn, but it's a perfect metaphor for life.  You sit back and what not, and the world will go on without you, and all these amazing things will be accomplished without any assistance from you.  You want to be a part of it?  You have to take charge of your life and provide your own direction.  You cannot drift from thing to thing.  Seize your life.  Seize your opportunities.

That's all I can say for now.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus