Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Yes, Yes


As opposed to no, no.

I just had a look at my task list and realised that I have absolutely nothing to do today. I mean there's stuff on there, but most of it is in the hands of other people at the moment, and I've already followed up. So basically, today will consist of me just sitting here and typing this blog post, but hey, that's cool.

Hahaha, I love being proven wrong. Just had a flurry of activity on an old task, which required me to wrack my brain for some answers. But with that out of the way, it's time to get on to more important things, such as blogging!

I'm sure I've mentioned the idea of race being a social construct. People may look at someone with let's just say dark skin and then assume that because another person has dark skin, that they must be genetically related or similar. However, science has shown that to be false. A white person could be more closely genetically related to a dark person than another white person. Ergo, they are the same, except for the colour of their skin. That makes racist people absolute idiots, because they don't understand science. I know there are arguments concerning eugenics at play here, but on the face of genetic proof, there's really no basis for race based discrimination. It brings into question a lot about genetic variation, consdering we all evolved from the same place. We were all dark skinned at some point, I wonder when the first white people came into existence? Shouldn't there be more variation? I mean there are white people, black people, brown people, asian people, and that's basically it, right? Am I missing a racial group in there? Well surely I am, considering I'm lumping in some categories with others. But right there, I just used race to classify something, when it's basically all bullshit anyway. All racism is born from fear and selfishness. I don't like this guy cause he's from another country, which turns to, I don't like this guy, because he doesn't look like me, to - I don't like this guy, he isn't me.

I like to randomly read wikipedia when I get the chance. All topics seem fascinating to me. Today I was reading up on Puerto Rico. I had only recently found out that it's an unincorporated State of the United States. Wow, who would have guessed?! That's nuts! But that's when things get a little more sinister. Apparently the US legislature makes the laws for Puerto Rico, but Puerto Ricans cannot vote in US presidential elections. Excuse me! What the fuck?! That's oppression and non-democratic at all. Don't get me started on the hypocrisy of championing democracy and voting in all that, when you are exercising power over another nation that technically does not form part of your country. I wonder what's going to occur with independence? It's 2012 for fuck's sake, people should be in charge of their own affairs.

What I find interesting about criminal law in this town is that it's never about the sort of crime you read about in books or see on tv and films. It's almost always related to drug crime. Assaults, burglary theft, etc. are all just extensions of dirty druggos and junkies needing a fix, or acting crazy after a binge. Well that and people drinking too much. So much for this town, the trouble has become all the more apparent over the past 10 years or so.

Had an interesting thought while on the bus yesterday. I think there's an inherent problem with the separation of powers doctrine. Yes, we are trying to get away from the concept of one arm of governance wielding too much power, but the rift between the judicature and legislature is quite pronounced. Can you read the mind of someone? No, of course not, you fucking idiot! So why is an entire arm of governance devoted to the ever increasing task of engaging in legislative interpretation? You don't know what Parliament intended. What's more, is that the Parliament is accountable to the people through a democratic process. Judges and Courts are not open to any form of scrutiny except through the judicial system, which inordinately places people at the wrong end straight away. Parliaments make legislation, they should be able to clarify how aspects of their law are supposed to work. Judges should just apply the law as it is, and not engage in anything further.

Didn't get a chance to catch up on the previous blog posts last night, but I will get there eventually. I'm not the sort of person who gives up! On this particular point, I was looking over the hits to previous posts and realised that even though I am posting much more often, the more recent posts have less hits, but readership of the blog overall is still high. What's causing this? I mean if someone just goes to dropc.blogspot.com what hit does that get attributed to? Because they haven't clicked on a particular post, it's just the blog as a whole. Ditto for going back through the archives and what not. So tell me blogger, how does it work? But this got me thinking about dilution. Since I have posted so much, are posts now becoming too diluted for people to keep up? This also got me thinking about facebook, and the idea that if you have a lot of friends on facebook, you will pay less attention to what's going on with your news feed. This also speaks volume about the world in general. As the population expands at a massive rate, nobody is going to stand out. Nothing is going to stand out, because there are just so many people. Nothing is special. Nobody is special. Instead, we are stuck in a wasteland of reality tv bullshit, with people like the Kardashians commanding princely sums of money for having no discernible talent. And this is what people will strive for, in order to stand out. To rise above the rest and not be diluted with the remainder of society. People are a cancer on the planet. I am dead certain that given enough time, Earth will become like Coruscant in Star Wars mythology - a planet city all densely populated.

And in all the fairytales, all the girls were light skinned and tall, whereas all the boys were tall, dark and handsome. Hello conservatives, haha!

Gosh, what are the mysteries of personal growth? To just get to the other side?

It's not a question of what I want you to do about it, because you shouldn't ask me. Just do something. Something.

Have an overwhelming urge to just go and travel again. Somewhere tropical. Been reading up on places I've already been. As a side thought, I think the worst mistake any tourist can make (and being from the West, we must be especially mindful of) is thinking your country is better than anyone elses, and thinking yourself superior to everyone else. We are all people and at a basic level, we are really all quite similar. So get out there and see the world.

Some things are harder to take than others. Sunday is so, so grey. Why did you do it? Now I'm reminded of this at every single turn. Everything takes on a surreal edge.

Then I remember, I am not here.

It's not about me is it?  It's got nothing to do with me.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus