Monday, October 13, 2014

Too Close, Too Far, Just Leaving Me With Scars

If only it was the other way around.  That would be much more satisfactory.  But I'm working it, maybe there's some practice to be had.  Though it's not exactly the same.  Who knows?  You can't just measure something flat when you need to measure how tall it is.  You're forgetting about the variable of gravity.  That makes all the difference.  Maybe I can compensate for it?  Not everything can be solved, but we can do our best to try.

I didn't think I would be back on those streets, or just that one in particular.  But I was.  The houses I knew, the park I had driven by so many times.  But how time changes, and none of us are the same.  What happened?

So now that I'm back with the program, I can get some good guitaring in, and do my best to sort out my situation.  I'll get there.  Just have to keep at it.  It's fun to play guitar!  I just want to get a new idea down, but I haven't had a new one in some time.  I guess part of that is due to not playing all that much lately, but I have been incredibly busy for some reason.

It's incredibly disconcerting to discover that all the places I have been to in the past have developed problems.  Hong Kong?  Now full of protests and crackdowns in light of the Chinese government exerting their influence.  Malaysia?  Grenade blast the other day, killing one and injuring 12.  Maldives?  Sinking into the ocean.  I really enjoyed these places, and I wish things could be better for the residents of these nations.  But I guess you have to realise that all countries have their problems.

Let's talk about information or data gaps.  So Facebook is a highly valued company, ditto with Google.  With the absence of proper products to sell and market, what do they deal with that is so valuable?  Information.  Everything you do on these platforms, and across platforms is tracked.  Website viewing habits, shopping, emails, who you interact with are all recorded and put on your electronic file in massive data houses with impregnable security.  There are some who mask their habits and personal information by deliberately putting in false information or deliberately withholding information in platforms like google or facebook.  But that's where an information gap can occur.  To verify the accuracy or veracity of something, you don't think the fb application or the messenger application (or a whole host of google applications) aren't monitoring your personal details and interactions and those of your friends?  Let me put it in an example.  A does not provide their address details on facebook or on google.  An information gap is created.  A is friends with B on facebook, and they interact with each other on their phone (texts and calls).  Google and facebook know this, so their applications review B's contacts on his phone to review whether an address is in there and report back to the server.  See, despite A creating an information gap, B has inadvertently filled it in.  How worrying.  It also harks back to things such as face recognition in photography.  On facebook I never tag my face in there, because they have a learning system, yet when pictures of me have been uploaded, the system somehow knows it's me and tries to tag me automatically.  Scary, isn't it?

Haha, and on a completely unrelated note, why is there no proper compatibility between hotmail and the native mail app on iOS?  Gmail syncs fine, so if you view an e-mail on gmail in a browser on a computer, it's automatically counted as read on your iOS device.  Vice versa if you read it on a device first.  But with hotmail?  You have to review the e-mail on the device and on a browser to actually get rid of it!  It's crazy.  You would have thought they could figure that stuff out? 

Why are people distracted by shiny things?  Ladies love big shiny jewellery so they can show off to others as a sign of status, it really has nothing to do with feelings of nostalgia or sentimentality.  Why?  Because if that were true, there would be a lot of antique jewellery out there, and there simply isn't.  I tend to find women are far more distracted by their phones and I'm worried by the trend.  All these mothers out with their kids, focusing on their phones and not paying attention to what is happening in front of them.  Seriously!  Other girls just staring straight down at their phones while walking ahead.  It's nuts!  I'm shocked there haven't been more accidents of this nature.  Do we all need to be plugged in all the time? 

There's a move to review the curriculum at schools and I'd be inclined to agree.  Most of what we learn is not relevant to life or even to history.  But what weirds me out is that there's a call to introduce more judeo-christian values and morals and western history into classes.  What?  That's something I don't agree with!  Education should be secular, because facts are facts.  All we learned about in history was western rose-coloured lenses history.  Aboriginal history was only covered for half a semester in high school.  Politicians just don't get it.

Then we get the former Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone on the Guardian saying that criticism of the widening gap between rich and poor is just a case of envying others.  That's absolutely disgusting, and totally typical of conservative politics.  They want to keep everything for themselves, and not share it with others.  It's all about who they know, who they can brown nose, and how they can maximise profits and become the richest, be the greediest and what not.  And to criticise that sort of monopoly and that mentality is apparently just envy?  No, because they work systems to ensure this is the status quo, and there is no hope for others in terrible situations.  This is Australia, and 1 in 7 people live in poverty.  That's a significant figure for a supposedly developed nation.  It's the sort of argument only a rich person could make.

Wow, I'm surprised at how productive I've been today!  Not just on here, but work wise and other stuff, it's good!  Hopefully this week can be a good blogging week.

With a bit more time, I'd like to be able to actually commence the blog intro/retrospective.  I know, time has gotten away from me, but it's something I am aching to do.  There'll be a lot of posts to get through and tag.  I look forward to it, though, this blog is our baby. 

Be still my gentle heart, it's not palpitating is it?  Everything is demure.  Am I getting enough sleep?  It was a crazy weekend.  I'd like to just be able to do nothing for a while.  But looks like I've still got 2.5 hours to go until I can get out of here.

2 hours.  Still working.  Getting there.  Yeah, I'm on instagram.  I don't post much, cause I don't really take pictures of anything.  But I've noticed that everyone is keen on posting selfies.  What is this?  Does everyone need that level of validation?  Are people that insecure?  Does everyone want to be famous?  You can't.  The idea of fame is dependent on more people being less famous than you, so that they can recognise you.  People need to understand that - it's not an equitable relationship.  This big concept of of you posting pictures of yourself is just insane.  It's borderline narcissistic.  Why are people so obsessed with this phenomenon?  I shall never understand.  Then again, there's a lot about the world that I just don't understand.

More needs to be done to promote self learning.  People get force-fed a certain ideology through schooling, but with self learning, people are free to read and decipher whatever information they can come across, and then reach an informed decision themselves, as to the facts in front of them.  It's much more satisfying. 

One hour and 15 minutes, I can do this!  Do I know everything?  No, but I know enough.  Or do I?  There's always that second guessing.  Alright, one hour!  Gotta make this count.  There'll be even more to get through tomorrow.  But I'll be on top of everything. 

Hahaha, 9 minutes!  Time flies when you're busy.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus