Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I've Got A New Scent, And It Smells Like Ambivalence

That one hit me this morning just randomly, I like it!  It'd make a good punk lyric.  I get a few good ideas every now and then, even if I'm not actively writing lyrics anymore.  The focus has been on good chords, some good melodies.  No actual words except for writing this blog.  I'm ok with that though.  This blog is good!  It keeps me going, and the ideas are fresh.  I have a crapload of things to get through today, though.  It's my Friday after all, before returning to university.  God help us all. 

At this level of schooling, the tendency is to write 6,000 word essays.  As an undergraduate, it was a struggle to even find 2,000 words to write about any given subject.  At work, sometimes it's not so difficult to reach 4-5,000, but this is a different beast entirely.  I wonder if I can actually do it.  You don't get assignments or anything like that.  So how can you really learn anything?  Then again, you can just read yesterday's post and have a good time.  Didn't get any guitar in last night, time just got away from me, but that's ok.  I better get on with some work today.

I've been crazy productive today!  It's been good.  I love how logical thinking can result in huge efficiencies and time savings.  It's the best feeling!  Now I can devote the rest of my day to blogging and just being lazy. 

Housing in Australia (and I think a fair part of the Western world) is unaffordable.  In large cities, where most people live, and where most of the jobs are, most people are forced to rent for extended periods, at exorbitant prices.  Why is this?  A concept called negative gearing.  You can buy a property, then use the interest and maintenance costs to offset the cost of the rental income.  This becomes beneficial in the long run, as the value of the house increases (hopefully at a larger rate than the offset).  This is how property developers and old white people get rich.  They artificially stack the market as they overstretch and buy property after property, at a loss, and then wait for housing bubbles to create massive profits.  House prices go up, and nobody can afford to buy, unless they want to commute 2 hours to get to work.  But this will never be outlawed.  Why?  Because politicians are using the same tactics.  The people with the deep pockets who 'donate' to these political parties use the same tactics.  And people like money and power, and these things they will never let go of until they are dead (and in which case it will be inherited to their ilk).  Here lies the unfairness of it all.

There was an interesting article in the paper today about the notion of homosexuality and paedophilia.  If you have half a brain, you know the two are not in any way shape or form linked.  But there lies a great argument at the heart of social justice.  In the interest of equality, there should be a provision for gay marriage globally.  Homosexual people are what they are.  It's not a choice, it's how they were born.  Then, let's talk about it in terms of paedophilia.  Horrible, disgusting and abhorrent.  It should go without saying, really.  But what if there is an argument that they are born that way, and they have no control over how they feel attraction (similar to homosexuals).  In that way, does that mean over time, paedophiles will be granted similar rights?  Let's have a thought exercise, paedophilia has been around since humanity's commencement.  We have seen a move to a heavily moralistic society with the spread of religion in a relatively short amount of time (I mean that on a per head basis, there are more religious adherents now, compared to before, as religions tend to grow over time - but maybe not overall in the context of global populations).  The obvious division is that homosexuals are generally consenting adults who should be free to engage in what they choose.  But at the heart of the other issue is that children are involved.  They are young, can't engage in logical behaviour, and can be convinced easily.  This creates a relationship without balance, and that creates issues.  As children grow older now, they tend to realise that if they were abused as children, that the behaviour was wrong and it should not have happened, and this leads to ongoing psychological issues.  In a pre-moralistic society, would that psychological condition still be apparent?  Is moralism causing people to wig out who were subject to this kind of abuse?  If they don't know it's wrong, would they react in the same way?  That's a scary thought.

Okay, thought experiment over.  So am I saying paedophilia should be excused or condoned?  Hell no!  Absolutely not.  As a human, I reserve the right to be inconsistent in my beliefs or thoughts.  But keep in mind, that with the feelings you (rightly) negatively assign to paedophiles, crazed conservatives will (wrongly) feel exactly the same about homosexuals. Would it be easy to change your mind on that subject?  No, and now you can imagine how hard it is to change their mind on that subject.

What's wrong with the world is there are too many issues.  All the important ones get diluted as special interest groups raise more issues, and this makes the general population unfocused, confused and angry, because they don't know what's going on, and they're not used to change.  Overall, people are just as stupid and uninformed as they were in the dark ages.  They refuse to believe facts.  So what are you going to do?  I guess just persevere and see what happens.

I'll keep it there for now.  Unless I can get wifi at uni, I'll probably not be able to blog until the weekend or some time mid next week.  So until then, I'm done!  I'm absolutely wiped!  At least it's just under an hour until I can go home and forget my troubles.  Keep moving.  Roll with the punches.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus