Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Fault In Our Education System

It's pretty much a standard thing, no matter where you are in the world.  In the East, you are drilled from an early age to remember facts and figures.  There is no analytical learning of any kind.  If you learn anything that is not in the syllabus, it is not relevant, and it will not help you get a higher mark.  Then you are ranked against each other, in every class, starting from Kindergarten onwards.  Then here in the West, all you do is stick closely to the syllabus, and independent learning is frowned upon.  You get tested on highly subjective things, and your worth is measured in airy fairy ways.  Then you do this so you can be ranked (again), and then go to higher learning, where you occur thousands of dollars in debt just to earn a piece of paper so that you can do a job which has no meaning to society.  It makes no sense.  This is the tyranny of tradition.  School and university holds such an esteemed place in society, that its values and core nature have never been reviewed.  It hasn't undergone a period of criticism or reformation in the same way that other major institutions have.  And thus it will continue to perpetuate its own existence and importance.  Here's the thing - all you do in uni is read stuff.  Then you get tested on whether you have understood the readings.  That's all it is!  Then major, world leading universities apparently have more prestige in carrying out the same standard of insanity as any other university.  It's less than independent learning, because you can read the same books on your own, and hopefully you would be far more motivated to do it that way, with the added bonus of not being tested on it.  So you're basically laying down money for no ascertainable purpose.  So what's the point?  It's a sick system.  We need to do away with these notions of outdated thinking.  We'll be better off as a society without them.

It's going to be a strange day, there's not a whole lot of work to do today.  But at least I can blog, that'll be good.  But it'll be tough after yesterday's good effort.  I'm all about trying though!

We chose, and we chose wrong.

Okay damn, I am out of things to talk about today!  Not good.  But maybe I can keep myself occupied.  Task list is looking empty. 

Obscurism of the highest order?  Why am I trying to convince Evander Holyfield to get back into boxing in my dreams?  It makes zero sense. 

Ahh and now I do have work, blah!  Yeah maybe I am more cynical, I have the right to be.  Oh lord, it's only Tuesday.  It feels like a Monday, and tomorrow will be my Friday, work wise!  I wonder if I can keep up at uni.  I've mentally checked out, I need out.  I'm done, just it, it's over, done.  Can I sleep now?  Well hey, it's only 2 hours to go until I'm done.

I just don't care anymore.  You can't escape this place.  It really is up and down in places.  Funny how karma works sometimes.

Better call it here.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus