Monday, September 22, 2014

Empirical Problems

I'm sure I've touched on the point before, but I have real problems with empiricism.  It's the idea that knowledge is incremental, and that if you want to be able to prove something, you have to rely on something that came before you to help back up your statements.  It's the foundation of most of academia.  However, I don't think it's all that helpful, since it slows down the course of human development.  Not relying on empiricism only works in fields like medicine because you can just develop a cure for a disease and it either works, or it doesn't.  But with any other field, you can't rely on that.  But I wish we could!  We should get out there and experiment without fear of what can happen.  Then we can see a leap in knowledge and get beyond this quagmire of human ideology that we're in at the moment, with discrimination, hatred, fear and ignorance currently leading the way.  If you live in a developed society, you live in a fascist nation.  Let that sink in.

I had some of the weirdest and most disturbing dreams ever last night, it was interesting!  What a strange world the mind is. 

We have an interesting intersection between social justice, racism and sexism in the one concept, and I love it!  Let's talk about racial bias in dating.  Everyone should be free to date whoever they want to, that's a given, surely.  However, there are those who say that they aren't in any way attracted to people who are from a certain race.  Now I think that's definitely on the nose.  Are you telling me that out of an entire race of people, you just don't find a single one attractive?  I think that kind of thinking is certainly racist.  But here's the kicker, the ardent feminists and what not would say that it's free choice, but that's actively encouraging racial discrimination.  So now what?  One social justice group is basically allowing another minority group to suffer.  That's not real feminism, this is more white, upper class feminism which has no basis in reality, and does not seek to reflect reality for all women.

A somewhat productive weekend!  I even made a new riff on guitar that I'm quite happy with.  I wish the other was here so I could show it off!  But there's always technology and all the wonderful connectedness that brings.  It's been a while since I've made something new on the guitar.  I was starting to wonder that maybe it was over, but I've still got it!  I can still create!  I can still be creative!  I'm not done yet thank you very much.

It's funny how much time can change things, don't you think?  Well some things more than others.  Other people's regrets are other people's mistakes - that may seem like the same thing, but they're not.  It gets harder each week.  Surprises are all there. 

I can't take all these fluctuations and volatility!  It's crazy!  Pass the savings on to me!  Do I even know what I'm talking about?  Of course not.  This is all ludicrous, it really is.  I'm just watching a bunch of data on the screen.  It's meaningless on its own, but in reality, the consequences are dire.  What am I even doing?

Monday.  Sigh.  Another week.  But I can look forward to this because I've got 2 short weeks ahead of me.  Thank goodness for these long weekends back to back.  I'm going to enjoy my time, get some game time in and play guitar.  It'll be great.  Just gotta stomach 3 hours more of this and I'm out of here.  Bucking a pretty major trend here.  I'm not feeling well.  Perhaps I'm in way over my head.  Well I knew what I was doing a while back, but the fact is that I'm not disciplined and it's starting to get the better of me.  You gotta kick the bad habits.

What can I write about today?  Can I wrack my brain enough to get something good out?  I guess a running theme through this entire blog is the distrust in modern education practices.  We get degrees just so we can get jobs, not to learn for the pleasure of it.  I was told the other day that being overeducated is a bad thing, because you're less inclined to take risks.  I would agree with that statement.  I think schools these days tend to reward regurgitating information.  They don't want you to understand it, and they absolutely don't want you to display signs of creativity.  It all harks back to my issue with empiricism from earlier.  There's nothing groundbreaking for humanity unless it's incremental. 

It all ends at some point.  You bury your folks, all things being equal.  Your kids will bury you.  It's normal.  But what a weird way of things.  Because you think that your parents will last forever.  But it's all just indicative of time and what it does to all of us.  Is that what humanity is?  A way to see whether something can survive against time?  To thrive and multiply and become and index against time?  We will all eventually fall by the wayside, but there will always be people and society in the future? 

I'm having a real talking heads moment here.  You stop and realise you are just shocked by your own life.  How did I get here?  Is any of this stuff mine?  None of it makes any sense.  I was just playing with my toys a little while ago, and now I'm here.  What will happen tomorrow, and what happens the day after that? 

Alright, just an hour to go, I can do this! 

I'll call it a day there.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus