Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Chasing The Wrong Things

Are you happy?  Everyone derives happiness in their own way.  But if you choose to believe in a balanced existence, or a balanced order of things, not everyone can be happy.  For some to be happy, there needs to be people who aren't happy.  So not everyone can be satisfied.  Or perhaps others can't be as subjectively happy as others.  Tell me what fairness there is in that kind of system?  There isn't any.  So what's the point?  If all of human existence is a fluke, and our genus is doomed anyway (just look at the dinosaurs et al), then all our achievements are meaningless.  We need a regulator, like in Red Dwarf to judge us for who we are, individually and collectively.  Do we deserve all we have?  I'm not so certain.  Frankly, I don't really know why I get up in the morning.  It seems to be just a force of habit rather than the actual will to get anything done. 

How can I be so foolish?  It really is my own fault.  You have to keep an eye out and keep asking questions.  Always be curious and inquisitive.  Otherwise you stop living, you stop gathering what you need to know.  It's not quite the same.  Oh well.  You live and you learn.  Then you stop living, and you stop learning.  Then there's nothing.  Ahh my eyes are still hurting, this isn't good at all.  There are some really rash decisions being made, but it is indicative of what I've thought all along.  Tell me more.

I'm getting back into the swing of things.  Guitar last night was great.  No point, just jamming for the hell of it.  I hadn't played in so long, I figured I better get back to it or else I'll forget how to play.  It was lovely.  I'll get some more structure to it tonight and onwards. 

Dear Lea Michele, aren't you glad Cory Monteith died?  I've never seen a career take off like that after a partner's death.  She capitalised well on the fake tears and the sympathy of the public.  The fact is this, she knew her boyfriend/fiance was a user and didn't do everything in her power to help him.  She's also partly to blame for his demise and look how famous she's gotten as a result.  Oh Hollywood, Hollyweird.  There, I said it.

I know where I'm headed.  I can get there provided I have enough rest. 

What really irks me is that the super rich in Australia barely pay any tax.  The same is true for most companies.  And it doesn't just happen here.  It happens in most Western countries.  The rich funnel their funds offshore to tax havens, and set up their companies in trusts and hidden shareholders and end up paying less tax than their staff.  Is that right?  Yes, every person should be trying to minimise their tax, but how come the super rich are so effective at doing it?  Companies also pay a discounted tax rate of 30% here.  Yet they're the ones making the massive profits and screwing over shareholders, and acting with relative arrogance when it comes to good corporate governance.  As a result, the middle class get screwed because they can't avoid these kinds of taxes, and they have to fund the shortfall when it comes to public spending.  Is that right?  Of course it isn't.  The problem is that these ultra rich have very powerful friends in government and favours are traded as a result.  Companies also form ridiculously powerful lobbies for government fundraising and policy setting.  Any government that will win power amongst the masses will be the one who prosecutes these ultra rich for tax avoidance, and increases the company tax rate to 35%.  It will ease the burden on the rest of us and we can finally go about changing the stupid status quo.  They can't get away with it.

Looking at my task list for today and I realise it's all with other people.  There's actually nothing for me to do except blog!  That's cool though, just gotta think of some more things to write about.  Am I even ready for this?  There's just too many lost opportunities.  Oh man, it's only 11:30!!  What am I going to do with the rest of the day??  This isn't cool!

What should I learn about today?  About how money and power corrupts?  I've got less than 3 hours to get through the day and I have nothing to show for it.

I'd like to have my brain firing all the time, just like in the movie Limitless.  I wonder what it would be like?  What would you experience?  Could you retain any of it afterwards?  It's all about what the mind does with the information that it knows.  But sometimes it doesn't fully reveal itself to us.  I've seen a few good films lately, and not that many bad ones, so the strike rate has been pretty good! 

Okay, an hour to go now!  I can do this!  What's with all these giants looking over my shoulder?  It's not what it was, I don't need to look out the window, there's already too much damage. 

Maybe it's time I take the plunge.  But I can't swim...

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus