Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Great Unrealistic Expectations

I'm a little under the weather today, but I am plugging by because I have so much work to get done.  I'll be alright.  I'm looking forward to just travelling tomorrow and reading my book for most of the trip.  Then back on Friday to relax.  My fitness is coming back gradually, which is a good sign.  Maybe I'm getting used to this cold weather.  All I need to do is get some work done, and get through today.  I'll read more tonight!  I haven't played a game of anything in ages, which isn't a good sign.  I should do that before I back up my hard drive.  I may not be able to blog until I'm back, but I'll see what I can do.

You're getting older.  You can't fight the passage of time.  I understand that we may be viewing time wrong, as it may not be a linear concept in reality.  It may loop back on itself, and we could even find ways of penetrating it.  But if that's the case, why do we age?  Why is it that we cannot stop the course of events in a causal situation?  Maybe it's all interrelated, and maybe it's not.  There's more pondering to be done, but I want action, can we actually crack through the constraints of our very existence?  Now that's an interesting question I think.

The problem with the Australian Government increasing university fees is that it allows universities to profit directly from students.  That's inherently wrong, because universities are now regarded as private businesses, rather than places of learning.  I've already ranted about the HECS system, and how I hope they hang the bones of the person who devised the system.  But the idea of coming down on Universities so that students suffer is outrageous.  There is the idea that universities are a hotbed of liberal/leftist movement and this worries conservative governments because they don't want educated people challenging them, or to inspire others to do the same.  But nothing is further from the truth, I went to a pretty left wing school, and I have to say that they advocated a common sense approach to life.  Well now this has gotten students angry, to the point where they are verbally and physically lashing out at Members of Parliament who are visiting on campus.  Good on them.  That's real democracy I believe, because the people must speak and they cannot be suppressed.  Maybe this is where the revolution starts.  I can't wait.  The older generation had it so good.  They worked for a decent wage, commensurate to the cost of living.  People could buy houses at the ages of 22 and what not, with no help from their parents.  This generational wealth has passed on, so they could buy more houses for cheap and amass portfolios and then grow to become rich.  This leads to their children becoming rich by proxy, without having to do anything or prove anything, because their wealth is all tied to real property.  And it goes on and on.  While the rest of us, who have not been so fortunate enough as to rort the system, must save and scrimp to buy a house in our 40s if we are lucky, with double incomes and no kids.  That has to end, because the younger generation are being priced out of property, education and jobs.  They will tear the laws of unfairness down.

The concept that real property can be tied to the market and have value is ridiculous.  Not just that, it's intended to keep rising!  Property prices in Australia have risen pretty much exponentially over the past 15-20 years or so.  Those who bought before the bubble are now sitting on goldmines.  And they use this leverage to buy other houses for investment and charge exorbitant rents, even though they are negatively gearing their properties.  It's not a stable system.  It needs to collapse.  Property is ridiculously overvalued.  You used to be able to afford a house on a single salary, after working for 3-4 years.  Now, you could save for 20 years or so on two incomes and no liabilities, and not be able to afford somewhere in the inner city.  That doesn't seem right to me. 

Things only hold value because humans recognise it as such.  If tomorrow we turned around and said money was useless, the rich would have no power over anyone.  Maybe we would all be happier, because the chase would end.  This is a whacky system of values and judgement calls that we all have. 

The problem is that now I have money, I can't really spend it.  I don't even know what I'm saving for.  I just see the balance increase slowly.  Way too slowly.  I've got a wishlist of things I could buy, but won't.  I'd just buy a new computer, a ridiculously powerful one, for like $6-7k.  I'd also get a powerful laptop that could game if I needed, but I would use it primarily for just net usage.  I'd also buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 as my mobile phone.  And I'd also buy a 2 door sports car coupe, a fast, zippy one.  And I would also buy some games consoles so that I could play some of the great games that I've missed over the past 10 years or so.  I could do all of that now, but I won't.  That's just life.  All these grand plans, so why even bother?  Haha, just assume everyone is taken, so why even bother? 

One foot in front of the other, I walk.  I don't move.  I stay still, and my legs move the Earth around me.  It comes to me.  We are not helpless.  This has been a good effort, and now with the tick tock of the clock I have to get my butt in gear and focus on other stuff.  Here's to more in the future.

Existential fatalism, where art thou?  In fact, why art thou here?!  2 hours to go, I can do this!  Just power on and get it done!  Ahh, who am I kidding?  I'm finding it hard to stay motivated. 

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus