Sunday, February 21, 2010

Oh No No, You Can't Disguise

Yes, I am trying my best to get out of the house. I've come to realise that this is not a pleasant place to be, and I was much much happier on my own. The sense of isolation and loneliness I felt before was definitely a precursor to get more organised and pursue my own interests and get more things done! Other initiators for this decision need not be discussed. All I know is that I need to get away from people who don't have my best interests at heart.

Hopefully it should be easy, as I make a crap load of money and have a University education, so my rental applications should make owners happy!

I knew this year would be tough, I said it before in a previous post. It's only February, and it's just killing me already! What the hell will the rest of the year be like?

Hot brunettes in training sessions should not wear low cut tops and sit opposite me! I learned nothing from that session, I can assure you.

The system is screwed. I was reading the other day about some med student in the US who had accrued a half a million dollar debt on student loans because of the way their student loan system is set up, as well as interest and admin fees. Student debt is a shitty thing. Tertiary education in Australia used to be free, and the beneficiaries of that system helped usher in a golden age of productivity here. However, now that we have moved to a HECS or HELP scheme, life has just become harder for students. To have it move with CPI adjustments is the icing on the cake, it is such a volatile system, and the rates are quite large! Not to mention the over inflated costs of education! My debt is probably $40,000-50,000. That is just ridiculous! I would have to pay off a lump sum in order to satisfy the debt within the next decade. Or else I'd just have to live with it and see the ridiculous amount of money that gets taken out of my pay in tax for this amount. I hate rich people for this reason. I heard of MANY students (former colleagues included) whose parents or grandparents paid off this debt for them. What the hell? This is not a struggle, you need to earn your stripes, and learn that the system is not there for the benefit of the people.

Back to my original point, student debt - how the fuck does this motivate people to want to enrol in higher education? You get a degree, accrue a large debt, then work in a field that probably isn't directly related to your degree and have to spend YEARS paying it back. Most kids (sadly) don't care about education these days. They don't care about learning, they just want a degree to help job prospects. Sort of a catch-22 if you will.

Another point, I think investment in property (for residences) should not be allowed. This leads to negative gearing, and prices for rent just inflate artificially. This tends to have some sort of effect on the buying market, and prices increase there. The net result? The rich get wealthier, while other people are left out in the cold, with no way to get a foothold in the market. I don't like the idea that one person can own more than one piece of property, you are only one person! This leads to other problems like over-development, when people are trying to maximise profits on smaller blocks, and quality of life for everyone in these places just suffers as a result. Investment is possible mostly through leveraging of equity in existing property. Since most properties are LONG term investments, where you usually don't break even for decades, the first property must be used as collateral to enter into loans for more places. The property market just gets choked up as a result.

Anyhow that's my rant for today! Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus