Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ravages Of Time


It only gets worse from here.  My back has been seriously hurting for the past few days.  It's just a consequence of getting older!  I'm not even that old, damn it!  Then again, maybe I'm deluding myself, and I'm starting to leave the prosperity of youth and enter the compromise of middle age.  I guess it's only downhill from here, right? 

I kid because I love!  Hahaha!  I love that line.  Frasier is back on tv, before Everybody Loves Raymond.  It's a good show, I find the humour to my liking.  But I am just unable to watch Frasier anymore.  Too many painful memories now.

HAHAHAHA!  Oh god, I am listening to the track African Vibes from the V-Rally soundtrack.  God that was a good game.  The cars didn't handle all that realistically, considering they had the turning circle of an elephant on skis heading downhill.  But I played this at a very young age, and I think I learned how to drive from here.  My brother and I used to race each other pretty much everyday at this game and battles would become quite intense.  We would just have this track on repeat and it would feel like a full on car chase, as boost would allow the person behind to catch up.  The tension would build up as races would reach their conclusion.  I liked the different parts of the world you could race in, too.  Every country was different, hell, even all the tracks felt different.  Races would get hectic with other cars and thin passes, so you would get a fair amount of rollovers at crucial bits of the race.  I also just love the music, it's so smooth!  African Vibes is Santana-esque guitars over African funk and tribal melodies.  Give it a listen on youtube, search for v-rally OST track 2, it'll be the first hit.  Well put together soundtrack I gotta say.

Well since I've started talking about driving games, I might as well continue with a list, ala yesterday's post.  YES, I know I have work to do, and I'll get to it!  So I have a special place in my heart for V-Rally.  That being said, I preferred it over Colin McRae Rally, despite Colin McRae definitely being a technically superior game in terms of car handling, setup, graphics and what not.  I enjoyed the game, but I did not play it very much.

Need for Speed 1 was a great game, and I enjoyed it immensely.  There was just so much fun to be had driving around cars I could not afford around big cities and street tracks, as opposed to closed circuit tracks.  Just a damn good experience.  Need for Speed 2 sucked so hard, so I won't talk about it.  Need for Speed 3 was a great game, and I loved the pursuit mechanics of it.  But my fave of the series (including the newer games), has to be Need for Speed 4 High Stakes.  It was a thoroughly engrossing game, despite being a poor man's Gran Turismo.  I progressed quite far, while my preferred soundtrack was At The Drive-In's Cosmonaut.  It enabled me to get into a good groove to just race.  I have a dislike for the newer Need for Speed games due to the ridiculous unreality of how the cars handle.

One of my favourite series has definitely got to be the Driver series.  The cars don't go all that fast, but they handled quite realistically, and you were in a big open world map.  Therefore you had to drive with a bit more of a brain if you wanted to keep your car in one piece.  As I've mentioned before, I would just boot the game up and play the Just Drive mode and drive for HOURS all over the cities.  My fave place was definitely Chicago from Driver 2.  Many a hidden car to be found and fun to be had.  It's a good one for young drivers to learn the basics of driving on populated roads with reasonably powered cars.

Daytona USA was a blast, but only an arcade with a full setup.  This is an instant arcade classic, especially against friends, or even better, a full 8 player linkup.  I only ever mastered the first track, and was barely capable on the second track.  But who needs more than that, right?  If you can ever afford to buy an arcade machine with this on it, I'd recommend you do it!

I'll also mention Sega Rally at this point, but again, on arcade with the full setup.  A brilliant game that was well executed.  The Celica automatic was my weapon of choice, and I was unstoppable on the first track, even on the major hairpin last turn!  I learned the tracks due to playing the game on Sega Saturn, and was even proficient at the second track.  However, the last track was too much of a challenge for me and I never finished it within the time limit.

I can't go past Mario Kart.  Despite never owning the game, I have played it numerous times on SNES, as well as Nintendo DS, and I had an absolute blast with it.  The simplicity and excitement of the racing, as well as the added bonus of minor vehicle combat, it made things a little bit strategic.  A bad racer could win through luck, so races were quite unpredictable.  A good experience, and one you can play with the family.  What's not to like?

At this point, I'll mention the F1 series.  I've played the original, 97, 98 and a few seconds on 2011.  For me, F1 97 was probably the best, as it captured the feel of the races while I was in the midst of really enjoying F1.  These days I've got no idea what's going on because I have no time to watch the races.  F1 was good, and 97 improved it to perfection, but F1 98 SUCKED.  They changed programmers and the game just became absolutely stupid.  Cars handled too well, and would be able to break from 250 km/h to 0 in the space of a split second.  Really turned me off the games.  But I did play 2011 on a PS3 some time ago while I was walking through a store and it was great fun.  T-Boy tells me that the latest F1 game is the best yet, and he thoroughly enjoys it and posts his best times to youtube and competes against others online.  Sounds pretty good!

For me, the series that I've had the most fun on has to be Road Rash.  Motorbikes, racing and violence.  What more do you need?!  Deceptively simple at first, but to actually be good at this game, you require skill and a crapload of luck with the traffic, the violence of other riders and road positioning.  Great for multiplayer binges.  Also insanely hard after very little time.  After level 5 on single player, the races just get a little bit too long, and the other riders a little bit too good.  It's a true challenge to get through to the end, let alone even win a race.

My favourite series though is definitely Gran Turismo.  Played all of them now actually!  Despite not owning all the systems that they've all come out on.  Ahh, Gran Turismo, again, it's not like a realistically handling game, but the depth of car setups, the sheer variety of cars and tracks, and learning racing skills, it made for a very fun, and educational experience.  Later games introduced rally racing, which was a welcome diversion from the standard fare.  Then there were races that mixed dirt racing with street racing, and that was insanely tough, especially the transitioning sections!

On to another point now - coding.  I don't know how the other can do it.  I don't know how others do it!  Like to build a system, or a functional piece of software, you just code -code, code, code.  Like thousands upon thousands of lines of code.  How is it possible to do that?  How can you review all the lines of code?  God, how does bug testing work?  But then I start thinking that if you're fluent in the code, then you should be able to spew forth lines of code as easily as I do with these words.  It's just the issue that I'm not fluent in it.

Hmmmmsies, that was a lot of blogging for just the first part of the morning!  I'd better get stuck into some work.  More to come later.

Ok wow, things are busy!!  Haha, not like it was yesterday, that's for sure!

Need to take a break from reading crap, so back to this.  What I don't get is parents who pay for nannies and au pairs and what not.  People who can't raise their own children deserve no respect.  Yes, I understand things are difficult with the rising cost of child care, and everything else, which usually requires both parents to work.  But that's more of an indicative problem with the 'system' as opposed to problems with people.  As little as 20 years ago, one parent was usually able to work while the other stayed at home to look after family, but that's not even feasible anymore for longer than 1 year.  We can afford to give up so much, can't we?  My prediction?  We're going to have a generation of people who are so disconnected from any sense of belonging or loyalty, or even love, and they will be our next leaders.  Just watch out there.  Parents should be able to have a LOT of time out to enjoy their lives with their children.

There are just so many problems in the world.  The issue is that there are not enough people who can dedicate time to the eradication of these issues (e.g. poverty, war, disease etc.).  This is a travesty, considering how much of what the world does is pointless in the bigger picture.  Common sense can prevail, and I bet things can take care of themselves, and therefore we can dedicate our time and resources on other more important things.

Almost penultimate week until I can get out of this place, yes!

Ok, I'll try to aim away from the game related posts such as this one and the previous one in the future.  But it's interesting to note that my post a few days ago regarding Athlete Kings on the Sega Saturn has registered massive hits.  I wonder what's the deal with that??!  Hahaha!  Also looks like I won't be able to fulfil my goal of hitting 300 posts this year, unless I double post and also do some weekends, which at this point seems very unlikely.  But that's alright, it's not about the sheer volume of posts, it's making sure I'm actually writing, and letting the anarchy inside my mind flow. 

Well I think I've gone as far as I can go for today.  Hope you enjoyed it.  Take care.

Ummm, are you having a go at me?  Not impressed.

Nobody sells Kinder Buenos in this town anymore.  Life is fail.

Just sitting here looking at things I can't afford, and would probably never buy, even if I did have the money.  I'm a strange person.

So sleepy, so very sleepy.  I need to eat something.

There's no more Hyacinth, is there?

Google!  Fix Gmail damn you!  Why don't paragraphs format properly when you put a space underneath them?  There's a gap, yes, but there's no BREAK.  Idiots!

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus