Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"And I am high like a star that's flying; Cassiopeia"

I have not been THE biggest fan of Third Eye Blind. I tend to like their songs, but I have not extended myself to full albums as of yet. But upon reflection (and upon word of the other) I have listened to some tracks from Ursa Major. What a wonderful, well-written album. Stephan Jenkins is surely one of the master songwriters of his generation. Granted, the dude is almost 50 now, but he engages well with people our age. Bonfire has to be one of the best songs I've heard in a long time, and the guitar line is very interesting. 3eb will probably never hit the heights of the days of "Semi-Charmed Life", which probably cemented their place in, as well as sealed their downfall from, the mainstream. However, I do believe that Jenkins was never comfortable with that whole scene. He tends to write for himself, any success, financial or critical just seems to be coincidental to his whole mentality. However, this means that their music will be enjoyed only by hardcore fans, as well as those that will go out to seek good music, not just "flavour of the moment" sort of people. I'm sure the other will agree with this, as 3eb has been his favourite band for well over a decade now.

I am glad that we have beaten the "low point" of 2007, with our measly 39 posts for the year! Things are certainly looking up.

I don't know what it is, but life seems more complicated now. Before I could just study and focus on that. But now it seems that I have to juggle so much. This makes studying so much harder. However, I feel like I am bringing my A game. So much so, that I've finished everything early, and now I am blogging and I am looking forward to getting up in some guitar shortly.

Lust is a dangerous thing. Love will make you do spontaneous, amazing things. Lust will make you do things that will most likely get you killed. Love never resulted in some idiot walking blindly across a street and getting flattened by a bus. Lust can do that to you though! My point for this - being back at uni. At work everyone is older and not so attractive. Therefore, no distractions, I just work my 8:30am-5:15pm day and go home. Lectures at uni on the other hand, goddamn I had forgotten the insanity of the girls!!! It's such a large group, several hundred, and the ratio is like 5 girls to every guy. This is the craziest ratio I've ever had since year 12 drama. This obviously means more girls, new girls. Girls I've never seen before. Sitting in lectures all doing things provocatively! Damn you! I need to concentrate on my studies, not on imaginary dalliances or illicit rendezvous on the nearby oval! If only you would stop being so sexy, for just 8 freakin hours. Is that too much trouble?? YOU in particular, hahaha! Curvy to the point of ecstacy. I've never seen a girl with her body type before. She's tall, slender but somehow curvy in all the right places. I didn't think it was possible.

Another interesting observation is the law school female syndrome. Girls on the whole are typically not nice to each other. A whole alpha female thing happens when girls get together in large groups. The most critical voices against females tend to be their own. Law school grads on the whole tend to be type A alpha personalities - ultra-competitive, critical of others and typically arrogant. I've kept my mouth shut for most classes, unless called upon to answer questions, or take free kicks. This enables me to watch others and how they interact. The way these girls just SNIPE each other down when a (admittedly) stupid question is asked, but then two seconds later, the snipers will be the ones asking the questions and being castigated by their peers. The looks they give each other when asking questions is utterly horrible. It's like they all openly hate on each other. Some fat girl was asking a question, and the girl diagonally behind her just looked her up and down and gave a full on :S look. I don't understand this, but them's the breaks I guess.

I think there are cross sections in all of society. Lawyers are perceived to be smart. There's a whole system set up so that people cannot easily get into this field. University admissions, costs, vigorous assessment, professional accreditations and so on. However, from just observing these post-graduate students, it seems that it's made up of all walks of life, all persuasions and so on. There are nerds, jocks, fashionable mofos, idiots, pretty dumb things and so on. It's interesting isn't it?

Anyhow, I have a hankering for some guitar! Later on folks! Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus