Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Winter Sun

Is sometimes harsher than the sun in the middle of summer.  You go to bed, wake up and do it all over again.  Nothing changes, but you get slower as it repeats.  Life just gets away from you, not the other way around.  But I am finding that I'm getting a lot more done.  Just gotta beat the addictions and the jitters and I'll be living much more efficiently.  Guitar has been going swimmingly.  That's all it takes.  Just a few days of solid playing and it all just comes back to you.  It's all in the fingers, it's all in the feel.  Just let it flow!  Hahaha.  Well I've got a lot of work to do today, so I better make this as quick as possible.  Can I be happy with what I have?  How those words have meaning!

Well things are nuts, because I thought there would not be any updates to the Joaquin Rate List (JRL) for some time.  But the more I thought about it, I do have a few names to add!  For those of you not in the know, the JRL is a list (here) that I use to highlight the names of all the women I've found attractive in the entertainment business.  Soon I'll add some pics next to each name.

When you think about it, isn't Insurance really a form of gambling?  You put all this money into something via premiums, and then only in the chance of an unfortunate event are you covered.  But the general idea is a rip off - you get your premiums yes, but when something happens, you also need to pay an excess to be covered!  What?  That's just insane.  If you add up all those costs over your entire lifetime, I'm sure the payout would not come anywhere near close to what you would have saved up over your life from not having to pay these sorts of costs.  It's a strange system I tell you.  Insurance needs to be far more heavily regulated and cost competitive.

There was a troubling story the other day from the site of the MH17 crash in the Ukraine.  There was a photograph of a Russian backed Separatist removing a ring from a corpse, and understandably the world is up in arms about it.  There are a few things all cultures agree on, and one of them is graverobbing.  But what strikes me is the hypocrisy of what's going on.  All soldiers do it.  They collect trophies from their battles and they wig out, because killing people (and being conditioned to enjoy it) is not normal human behaviour.  But what really grinds my gears is when soldiers are guilty of war crimes or massacres and other unspeakable things, all these military tribunals (not real courts) just give them slaps on the wrists, and the public is usually never aware of what happens because they are closed to the media.  Then the military brass typically gives the line that war is a high pressure situation and people sometimes act out, as if it's some sort of justification for doing terrible things.  And the public accepts it and understands it as the price to pay for wearing the uniform?  What a joke!  How can they be angry at the actions of this separatist but not at their own army for doing the same sort of thing (and worse)?  Disgusting on all fronts.

I read that over the past century that humans are growing.  So I'm not insane when I look around and wonder why the kids are getting so much bigger these days!  I'm 173cms, so I'm about worldly average height for a male - definitely not Western average height for a male, which is about 5'10" or whatever.  But I look around and see teenagers who are already at my height (or taller) and still growing!  Apparently it's not to do with evolution, but changes to diet, health trends and hygiene.  Places that are thriving (US and Australia, Britain etc.) tend to generate taller and fatter children, due to the nutrition and what not they're receiving.  But it's a sliding scale, because previously flourishing communities that are experiencing war or changes to agricultural practices will start getting smaller.  That's very interesting, don't you think?

I've talked before about whether immortality is the endgame for God, and the ultimate objective in science.  The same report detailed that various CalTech scientists believe that in the next 30 years, immortality may become possible through science.  What a thought.  But by then, I will be far too old to enjoy the benefits.  If immortality is available then, I choose death.  There are too many strange ethical questions that arise due to immortality.  But maybe I'm applying human values to a thing that should exist objectively - just take the damn thing and live forever.  But resources don't last forever.  We need to find a way to get off this rock, it's the only answer.

Haha, wow!  Ok I was planning to make this short before I got into some work but I've already gotten a fair bit down.  Maybe I can come back to it, who knows.  We'll see.  Can I shine a light on the darkness?  Yes, but objectives and drive need to change.  But things have stagnated a bit.

Apparently lack of sleep creates false memories!  Who woulda thought it possible?  But I suppose it makes sense.  On that note, isn't it interesting that sexual dimorphism is more pronounced in pretty much every other species except humans?  Going out into the animal kingdom, on the whole, females tend to be larger than males.  But not with humans, how very interesting.  How did that evolution come to place? 

It's a crazy world out there!  Example?  Animals who have extra senses than we do.  There's echolocation by bats and dolphins - where you make a noise and track your location by the sound travelling into objects and bouncing back at you.  Then sharks can sense electromagnetic discharge in the water for movement!  That's insane.  I wonder what it would be like to experience that as a human?

This has been a very long day.  I'll keep it there for now.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus