Sunday, June 12, 2005

Eito, not eight hoes!

I have a confession to make. I like dance music. Yep, techno, yep trance. But not the mindless beats which seems to attract so many of today's young. I like music with a feeling and a vibe about it. I'm not a clubber and I'm not a subwoofer blasting idiot cruising your neighbourhood at ungodly hours. Music should make you feel something. And that's why electronic music (for me lately) is so good, it doesn't just stick to conventional instruments. There are noises which are unfamiliar which can ignite feelings and emotions.

I should have mentioned it a few months back but I got a new VCR upstairs. It's actually got a timer so I never miss a bloody show anymore and I don't have to get up early to record stuff anymore! I'm a very happy chappy indeed. But of course it also means that I'm watching a lot more tv. And with the other's plan to watch a gazillion hours of tv these hols, we are bound for certain death.

Damon from Blur made a good point about Live 8 being a farce. The money is to be used to help Africa and it's cause but there are hardly any black acts performing at the concerts!! A little dodgy? You tell me.

Leonardo Da Vinci and Keith Moon. Not so different you know. Both were eccentric geniuses of their field. You know what the common thread is? Da Vinci had a very limited formal education. He only learned how to count on an abacus and that was about as far as his schooling went. Moon never had a single music lesson. However, it was through experience and observation that they came to be at the top of their respective fields. Then this got me thinking. Education in it's current form is holding us back. The current contraints in place stop us from thinking "outside the box", and hence we accomplish nothing new. And the big problem is, that if you don't belong within the existing paradigm of education, you get denounced straight away. There are no good thinkers anymore and that's quite sad. We need to change this so each person can realise their full potential. That's what made those two so great, they didn't know what to actually think. They didn't know what was meant to be right or wrong. Imagine if it didn't turn out that way? Half of science wouldn't exist, no progressive art (no Da Vinci Code either hehe), and The Who would have folded with second rate drumming.

Note to other. Canadian Grand Prix on tonight/tomorrow morning at 2:30am so keep an eye out. Note to self: tape it.

Also another one for the other, I actually heard the full version of the music used in the Garner Fructis ads. It's called Diamonds and Guns by Transplants. Why would the other care, you may ask? Well the Fructis stuff is the preferred hair care product of the other, and I came to know this via hilarious circumstances when he arrived.

I probably can't post tonight as I need to sleep so I can drive my folks to the airport and make it back home alive. So the night after that you shall hear from me again!

Have a nice day folks.
blog comments powered by Disqus