Friday, February 28, 2014

The Free Market Won't Help You

Hope yesterday's post provided some food for thought in starving minds.  Hey, I made it to Friday, and instead of getting my week off next week, I'll still have to work part of the week before I can take some time off.  But it's not like it's going to be a holiday, I'm going to be in a lot of pain.  But being at home in bed with a nice book will provide some welcome relief from the grind of day to day living which has consumed me at the moment.

What annoys me about society these days is that the consumer barely has any rights.  There's a whole load of legislation and other laws to help protect consumer rights, but big retailers and sellers rarely inform customers of their rights.  On top of that, they create their own terms and conditions to get around laws and make you think you're not entitled to things when you are.  A denial of rights.  What's more is that when you complain, they know they don't have to do anything.  They prefer to think they're right and that you're in the wrong.  This leaves you with no choice but to complain to the authorities to lean on them until you get what you're legally entitled to.  That's not on.  They should adhere to the laws, and I don't think any level of Government has done enough to levy penalties on businesses that operate under this model.  I don't think any consumer should give up when faced with that sort of situation.  It's happened to me twice now.

The thing about the free market is that it doesn't make any sense.  The price of property generally increases, but other items like cars reduce in value.  Then other things also increase like antiques, but other items go down, like clothing!  Tell me if there's any sense in that.  Yet it's a system that so many worship and don't question.  To me, that's not really a free market, because external forces set prices and expectations.  It's not a true, fool-proof system.

What I find hilarious about my own life is that in hindsight, snap decisions which may have seemed irrational at the time, are actually incredibly rational and appear to be the 'right' choice when considered in their totality.  The problem is that I never took the decision, and now I am paying the price for it.  How do you know what's right vs wrong?  It was right, and I should have known.  Or I should have been impulsive.  I'm in a vexed situation, where I can't quite reconcile whether what's in front of me is a red herring, or if I'm just reading too much into things.  Who knows.  The past holds answers, but the future only has questions.

Guitar is going nicely.  Got back into scale practice last night and I was in form.  Look forward to playing some more. 

I'm going to leave this one here. 

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus