Saturday, March 01, 2008

No It Isn't

Well firstly, I'd like to introduce my good friend, and fellow musician "Judas." I've spent many hours making music with this guy, and one of the few people in this world that I agree with when it comes to musical direction, and philosophy of life. I guess in many ways we are both open minded when it comes to music, and always willing to experiment, and not get bogged down by genres. We've never really had enough time to really make the most of this connection, but I hope sometime in the future that opportunity does arise, because I'd like to see what we come up with. I've been busy the last few days, and hence I haven't been able to blog, but now I'm back and settled in, and my opinions are overflowing. Today I have something in particular to write about, and it might be something a little different, but let me try this exercise. Music is the topic, and I guess the others will understand where I am coming from.

My musical taste over the years have varied quite a lot of the years, and at times I've stopped liking music that I previously liked a lot. A lot of the times it may be because of the particular mind frame I was in, or mostly because of others influences. And I'm not ashamed to say that there have been times when I've lost my individuality, and tried to fit in, which I realize now is not required at all. Sometimes, because I've tried to be a smart ass, like a lot of people who I was hanging around, and decided that some genres were just not worth it, because they were in that genre. Honestly, I guess maybe I've matured a little bit more, or maybe because I'm finally comfortable with exactly who I am, and I love the person I am. Call me narcissistic, but I think its important to be comfortable with yourself. If you don't love yourself, how can anyone else?

There have been times when dark music sounds better, I've been depressed for quite a few years now, and I'm glad that I'm out of that. It doesn't mean that I don't appreciate that music anymore, just don't feel my life is based on it anymore. I have come to realize that I like all genres, and most artists, at their own time, and as long as that particular sound strikes me as interesting. Why should I not enjoy a song that is throughly enjoyable just because its written by someone that people that I should not like? A good song is a good song, and I'm going to enjoy it to the max. Thats my stance from now on, call me a sellout, call me what you will, call me mainstream at times, I don't care what you think, I'm going to enjoy what it is I enjoy. I only feel sorry for you guys who believe that you have to be bound by these things... You're missing out a whole lotta things that you could be enjoying.

I think at many times, because of the close mindedness of people, and also people I was playing music with due to the lack of choice, I had forgotten my roots. I am a rock person, but i am also a very punk rocker at heart. I love punk rock, and I love writing punk songs. Why is it that I tried to complicate my riffs too much, maybe to satisfy my critics, but at the end of the day they were all bad reasons. I'm going back to my punk influences, something I love. This is not to say that I'm only going to write punk songs from this point onwards, but I'm going to be very experimental and open minded about my music, after all, it is my music, and I'm going to do it my way. I'm going to find others who understand my sentiment, like I said I've always loved working on music with Joaquin and Judas. Unfortunately neither of them are here, but thats Ok, I can do it on my own, till the opportunity arises again. I've got all the equipment I need, and I will become self sufficient. Thats my mission statement from now forth, I'd love to play with others, but not close minded people, and otherwise, I'll do it on my own...

Blink 182, I've always loved them, and spent countless hours listening to them. Often put them aside for reasons mentioned above, and thats a shame. Pop punk is a great genre, and I love the simplicity, and the seer funness of it. I know "funness" is not a word, but I guess thats punk rock in itself. They are more mainstream in that persuasion, but does that mean that they haven't entertained me? Of course not, they are awesome. I can see some of you shaking your head as I make that statement. We are so anti so many things these days, that we don't enjoy even what we do enjoy. Anyways, They were awesome, and it was sad when they did decide to call it quits, or their so called "hiatus." Honestly, I think maybe its a good thing, they probably needed to advance in their musical direction. Everything happens for a reason, and however sad and painful it maybe, we have to believe that, and there is proof.

It is sad how it ended, as all ends to meaningful relationships are. I think its extremely sad that Tom decided to make his manager call up the others and let them know that hes not playing with them anymore. I don't know the actual reason, and I don't think anyone else by the boys in the band ever will. I read somewhere that its because Mark was upset about box car racer. As far as I remember, mark just had a kid at that point in time, and he had his hands tied. Why would he be in a band with Travis if he was upset about box car racer, and he was also on a track called "elevator" on that album. Which also happens to be my favorite track on that album. I just realized this, but I don't like Tom's voice, I like Mark singing. Tom is too whiny, I'm not saying its not good, it just doesn't work as well for me. But on the other hand, Tom is an excellent guitarist, and maybe he needed new direction. But what came out of this break up was +44....

+44 is Mark and Travis's new band, and Judas pointed me in that direction. I love the sound, and its more mature, and a sound that I've become quite a fan of. I aways liked Travis's drumming, he makes some really interesting beats. Some of the electronic direction, and use of keyboards is really awesome, something I've been inspired to use more of, and hence went out today and bought one myself. I would strongly recommend people to go listen to the album. I only heard it recently, and I'm glad that I've refound my love of punk. The song "No it isn't" I think describes the feelings of Mark towards an old friend quite well, and its hard to see people give up on something that they have built together. On a whole, I have to say that I like their sound better than that of blink's and hence that is the reason why things ended up the way it did. I haven't heard Angels and Airwaves yet, but I'll give it a listen, if its as good as this, then it would be a good thing that blink broke up, well I'm already satisfied after hearing +44. And the girls voice on that album, I love it, I wish I could marry that voice :P.

All day I've been thinking about music, and these things, so I think its only fair that I share these thoughts. I'll stop there for now, and go listen to some rage against the machine to top off the night...
blog comments powered by Disqus