Monday, August 25, 2014

Awoken By The Sun

Slowly the phoenix rises.  Despite not knowing anything but instinct, it still flies.  I'm back and slightly with the program, I have some things to get out of the way before I can properly blog.  Didn't get a chance to get any blogging done while I was away, but I don't even know what I was doing the whole time.  It all just sort of went very quickly.  I found it difficult to sleep and I was just run down and tired the whole time.  But it's all done and I unfortunately have come back to a 5 day working week.  I don't know how I'm going to cope with this!

Slowly but surely, my fitness is coming back.  Hopefully I'll somehow come back to peak fitness at some point.  Just need the warmer weather to strike and I'll feel better.  Oh the irony!  Last week I was praising google chrome and now everything is just going haywire with my computer at home.  Firstly I was getting server execution errors in windows explorer/windows media player after that kerfuffle with Microsoft and their silly updates to Windows 7 causing a big crash and therefore messing up the registry, to the point that Internet Explorer did not work.  So after rolling those back and re-installing the updates, everything was working fine.  Then I realised my Western Digital Hard Drive 2tb Green model is about to pack it in.  It's been threatening to do this for a while, with the bad sector count down to 140 for a long time, which is the danger threshold, but it finally hit 133, and there's a fair few files in the corrupt sectors.  I tried to back up to my other hard drive (I run a 3 hard drive setup - 1 solid state for my operating system, with 2 2tb Western Digital Greens for my media and backups), and I was getting all these corrupt file messages I/O errors and I even blue screened once.  Not good.  Then after that, google chrome stopped working!  It just crashed and all the tabs would give me an Aw Snap! message and nothing would work.  I couldn't access settings or the crash report or anything else.  Thankfully, Google is smart and their source folder allows you to use the old version of Chrome, and that was working fine.  I'm hopeful that after coming home today, everything will be fine after a re-set.  It's weird, cause my solid state houses chrome!  It shouldn't be corrupt.  It's a bit silly how re-setting generally fixes stuff. Why is that?  Things should work so that re-setting is only a last resort!  Now it's the first port of call.  Silly.  I'll have to get a new hard drive this week.  I'll see what's available.  On top of that, ditto with my phone being an annoying piece of crap!  I tend to use my phone on max volume all the time, except when I sleep, when I flip the switch and let it stay silent, so I don't get bothered by calls or notifications, but the alarm will still sound in the morning.  But sometimes it just defaults to automatic silence once I press the button so the alarm doesn't sound, it just vibrates!  So annoying, luckily I am somewhat awake in the morning, or else I'd just sleep right through my alarm.  Can something in my life please work?!

Yikes, I better get some work done!  I'm not feeling well all of a sudden.  Ok now with all that work done, let's continue, shall we?

The blogger interface has changed so much since we first started.  There's a whole new layouts and template button, and you can really change the look and feel of your blog, so you're not locked into the standard presentation style for most blogs.  There's so many more options now, and I must really commend google for their work here.  When we first started, there were a few standard templates, with the option to tweak stuff if you knew HTML.  This is why our blog looks rather different to others, because the other coded everything by hand.  But anyway, I see that there's now more functionality, which is great, but this whole comment system is a drag.  Disqus is not intuitive.  Why not maintain the native comment system on blogger?  It's easy, and spam isn't that much of an issue if you're willing to police it.  But with disqus you need to sign in and then sync it and it's just a real pain in the ass.  Anyway, there didn't appear to be a widget for it on our blog, it was just coded into it for some reason, so I've taken that code out.  The native comment system still doesn't work, but at least there's no disqus?  It's a step forward I suppose.  But we'll live with it for now!  Speaking of, it's almost September!  That'll be 10 years of blogging from us!  Not bad at all!  Yes, I'll start the blog intro/retrospective soon.  A decade!  Who'd have thunk it?

September.  Wow, where does this year go?  And yet I still sit around waiting for things that never come.  They just won't.  So why wait?  How can I be so slow?  What's with my own hesitation?  I've already lost out before and I can't let it happen again.  It was all so easy before.  Well not again.  The flow of information has all changed, it's not what it once was.  But some news is good news. 

There's a lot of reporting on how sugar is as bad as other drugs such as alcohol, tobacco and cocaine.  I can see that.  While tobacco and alcohol are socially acceptable, sugar is even more so.  I don't smoke and I don't drink, so having those taken away means nothing to me.  But sugar is my lifeblood, you see!  If they took that away, that would be a pretty big impact on my life.  But I think I could learn to live without it.  It's not good for you!  I know it!  But I need the sweetness.  I'm an addict! 

Did you know your money loses value every year?  Due to inflation and cost of living changes, prices increase on things by like 13-14%.  But wages only tend to go up like 3-5% (if you're lucky), and interest rates at the bank are like 4%!  So unless you're investing and taking massive risks (and thereby staking your entire financial future), then you're actually losing the value of your dollar year on year.  Isn't that sick?  What sort of system is this?  There's no justice in the world.  Why would people even buy technology stocks?  I don't believe stocks like facebook and linkedin and that ilk.  How can you trade on something that provides no concrete products?  People are getting rich off speculating on the hard work of others, and not even providing any hard work of their own.  That's not right.

I'm feeling pretty grose still.  Nothing is dependable.  Nothing is reliable.  Can I just shut myself away and read the books that I want to read?  Is that too much to ask? 

Alright!  An hour and 15 minutes to go until I can get out of here.  I can do this!  The clouds are just steamrolling in at the moment.  And now it's pouring like anything! 

Well that's no good.  I'm done. 

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus