Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Lifting Skin

Without and within, everything else is a sin.  Things are just crazy hectic at the moment.  Not just at work, but at home too.  There's not really any respite.  I can't enjoy anything.  No rest, no relaxation.  I can't even enjoy sleep.  It's difficult.  I'm walking back to hell, and I have to write a 6,000 word essay in just over a month.  Luckily I've already done some work.  I'll be okay, I just need to make time to do it.  Just lock myself away and get it done.  Guitar has taken a horrendous back seat.  It's going to be well over 3 weeks, if not a complete month until I can play properly again.  Who knows how bad I'll be at that point?  Is it all worth anything anymore?

But at least I've made a return to the gym, it's been 2 weeks without any major physical activity and I'm seriously hurting.  I'm sore all over.  Decided to change things up a bit before I'm done living where I am.  Who knows what will happen after that?  I've got plenty of stuff to do, but I just feel like blogging.  Blogging will be tough over the coming periods, but who knows.  Maybe I'll be more prolific?  It'll be like a return to old times, it's a great procrastinatory tool.  And I hope I just coined a new term there, cause it sounds pretty cool.

What a weird world we live in.  The other day, some blonde haired blue eyed white teenager died from an apparent suicide, after being missing for the previous week.  And an older white teenage girl died after a toxic reaction to illicit drugs at a dance festival.  The issue?  News stories describing them as beautiful, even without quoting family members or people who knew the deceased.  It's not limited to these two situations, either.  Whenever a 'pretty' white girl goes missing or is found dead, they will describe her as beautiful, and will claim a lot of air time and resources from the authorities until they are found, or answers can be provided to their death.  If you are in any way, shape, or form, ethnic, then you will be lucky to get a quick line in before the sports section in the news.  All this focus on physical notions of beauty and societal expectations on what they consider beautiful.  Couple that with family members and friends only referring to these females as 'beautiful'.  That's always the first adjective they use!  It's like their only self worth was tied into their physical attractiveness.  What's up with that?  Then it's all about the loss of that 'beauty' in the world.  Wreaks of weird sexism.  Males don't get that kind of attention.  People from non-white ethnic backgrounds tend to be described as quiet, hard-working, or studious in similar reports.  That's just whacky.

Things are steadily getting worse for the youth.  The job market has just become impossible.  There are jobs here and there, but there are just absolutely hundreds of people applying for these roles.  So essentially employers can get their pick of the bunch, but I'm still convinced that it's random chance.  But having roles where hundreds of people apply does not tilt things in your favour.  On top of that, housing has become out of reach for the majority of the population.  Unless you want to live 1 hour away from the city and commute to work every day (and pay a 'going to work' tax in the form of exorbitant parking fees), then you are doomed to rent for the rest of your life, at ridiculously high prices.  Only a select few own the total number of residential properties in the Western world.  Property as an investment is something I don't agree with, and it's something I have harped on about many times so I won't go over it again.  So now we're going to get a lot of people, perhaps an entire generation who cannot get well paying jobs, or afford homes.  To me, a government is a failure if it cannot provide safety, housing, and jobs.  That's it.  Those are the 3 linchpins of good government right there.  And most governments fail at this.

Okay crap, time is getting away from me and I have not been productive on the work front at all.  Type faster!!

Have we all agreed that idiot conservatives and climate change deniers who say that global warming is a fallacy because it's getting colder in parts?  The key factor is that the climate is changing!  Some places are getting warmer, others are getting hotter.  And it's not normal.  So let's just call it climate change, there's no arguing with that.

The living, we are such a smug, sentimental bunch aren't we?  There's a lot of hoopla about mass graves.  People say it's a terrible thing to be buried in a mass grave, and great efforts are made (especially in a war context) to identify remains and give people individual graves.  Now, just moving away from the war context, I think the idea of grave sites are silly.  They only matter to the living because they like to go to these places and reminisce.  We're going to each a point, surely, where most of the surface of the planet is covered in grave sites, unless we're just burying people one on top of the other (not accounting for cremations here).  And then we tend to bury families in family plots, and couples next to each other.  Why?  Because it's for the benefit of the living.  The dead do not care.  You know what I want?  Just bury me in the ground, no gravestone or marker.  Those who want to come can remember where they buried me at my funeral.  That's it.  Once you're gone, you should only serve to be forgotten, as should everyone.  If everyone cannot be remembered, then everyone should be forgotten.  Even in death, apparently we still all have to be individuals, with a sense of identity.  It makes no sense to me.

Tumblr is an interesting place.  One one hand you realise that it's a great big world out there, with a lot of difference.  But you also realise that there are so many interest groups and special classes within subclasses and what not.  So what does that mean for representative democracy?  I don't know, but I'm asking some serious questions here.  I don't like typical partisan politics, because it's really more about getting a one up on the other party, and not about having good policies in place that actually benefit society as a whole.  Instead, you see pork barrelling, and certain benefits only going on to the people who vote for these parties.  Therefore you get lowest common denominator politics, where both major parties (whether Australia or American, or even British) start to meld into each other and you can't tell the difference.  Either way, the community as a whole is getting screwed, because the politicians are pandering to the vocal minority who indulge in ignorant and stupefying behaviour.  But if democracy was truly representative, wouldn't we have all these special interest groups?  If we dilute the pot, nothing will get done, because we can't please everyone.  So then where are you left?  Anarchy.  Sigh, it all comes back to that, doesn't it?

This is turning into a crazy day, at least I'm being semi productive?  But I feel like writing here a little more.  This is a crazy post isn't it?  I suppose this is what happens when you leave a bit of time, you actually filter out the crap, and the cream rises to the top.  Haha, that's what it's all about - crap and cream.  What's always surprised me is how little I've known about my own neighbourhood.  By that I mean the neighbourhood where I grew up.  I recall when we were in Primary School we went for a walk for an excursion, and I was shocked that there was a massive walking path right by my school.  I must have walked past there every day, but I did not know where the road went to.  Of course it went to a big mountain that I never knew about.  Then I went for a walk after school with a friend to go to his place.  He lived on the street directly adjacent to mine, but that street stretched for kilometres!  I had never known, because I had never ventured that way.  So after school we walked on the other side of the main road that divides our suburb, and I saw all these new parks, homes, and streets that I had never seen before.  It was a weird exploration, I'll give you that.  Even now, there's still heaps I don't know about the areas I have lived in.  Can you say the same?

Hold out for time until the next blog post?  Cause I don't know when the next one will be.  I'll see you when I see you.

Better keep it there for now, gotta get back to work. 90 minutes to go?!  Sheesh.  For once I'm ambivalent.  Is it long enough to get everything I want done?  Or do I just want time to fly so I can just go home?

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus