Saturday, January 23, 2010

That was the life I should have had...

Apologies, I was meant to blog last night, but I got an attack of the guitarage and I just had to play that Paganini inspired section from Crossroads, as composed by Steve Vai. I can remember that I had tried for the longest time previously to learn to play it, but I just could not, and the notes did not sound right, even playing slowly. But my guitar skills (overall) have gotten much better, and I gave it a damn good go last night. I'm quite happy with myself, I picked up the fast flowing notes after the chordal arpeggios. Needless to say, it took a while, hence no blog. But I do feel like sharing my thoughts with you, me, God.

I know previously I had railed (I don't know if it was public though), against Boost Juice, but I have to say, that after trying them, I am rather hooked. It's good stuff!! My fave is the mango tango, so good. Nice and smooth, like a liquid yogurt. Could do with a price cut though.

I went to a place called Cream in the City, and I gotta say it's the worst service ever. Ordered an OJ with everyone's drinks and it never came! We had to ask again, and then it came 20 mins later! It's just juice damn it! Then to top it off, they had put 3 OJ's on the bill instead of 2. Geniuses. It took AGES to get served, I can't believe the audacity of the wait staff there. But that is probably because they are not real wait staff. I am reminded of an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was offended because the wait staff at the Coffee Shop were all busty attractive women. However, Cream has waitresses who are all good looking, and incredibly fit, as they must (or at least it's implied) wear impossibly tight shirts and pants. My friends and I are of the opinion that the owners don't even hire decently qualified waitresses, they're all just probably sluts who screw the owners in order to get jobs. Judging from the vibe on the floor, this may be true.

As that rant is over, I can move on to other things. I remember reading on wiki the other day (the source of all factual information, of course) that revered Chef Anthony Bourdain had described vegetarianism in these terms:
Bourdain is also known for sarcastic comments about people who are vegan or vegetarian, feeling that their lifestyle is rude to those who inhabit the many countries he visits. Bourdain has said he considers vegetarianism, except in the case of religious strictures as in India, a "first world luxury".
At first, I totally agreed with him. Vegetarianism or veganism by choice, as opposed to health or religious reasons just seems utterly stupid. Meat did help us to evolve into the creatures we are today. We can thank meat for our brain development and capacity, and civilization. And being from a place where it is customary to eat meat, and it will be offensive for you to refuse to eat meat, I can totally see the logic in Bourdain's statement. In places like that, vegetarianism only exists for religious reasons, or among the expatriates returning from Western countries. It really does seem a first world luxury, where in other places you have no choice but to eat meat! However, the other argument is that shouldn't humanity/civilization have the freedom to choose what they desire? If people believe killing animals for meat is unethical, shouldn't they have the choice to not eat it? After pondering this argument, I gave up for a while, and now I have no opinion on the subject!

It looked like it was going to be a packed weekend, and I am not down with that. However, things have opened up nicely, and I'm looking forward to getting in some more guitar, as well as a movie (I'm thinking Jurassic Park), as well as some exercise and games. I'm going to my friend's place tonight to play some Modern Warfare 2 Co-Op on the Xbox 360, which should always be grand.

Yeah yeah, I know. The Joaquin Rate List (JRL) will be up shortly!

I did mention a few blogs ago that I had felt uneasy about leaving my old job and leaving Sydney to move back home and take up this job. I think it's because I felt that prestige, that pretentiousness that came with the brand name that I had worked for. I walked the streets knowing I was better than everyone else. I was in great shape. I enjoyed the city, I was more proactive about my life, I got a lot more done at home. Even if I did nothing, I could just look at things and just live. The area I lived and the place I worked had no feral people (or at least in very small number).

I miss that feeling. Here I feel like I'm just like everyone else, and I don't know if I can deal with that. Why would I go back? I get paid more now, and seeing my bank balance continually go up, as opposed to down with rent and other bills, is just a wonderful feeling. I also have time after work to watch movies and tv shows. It's different. Hell has harbour views I guess.

It feels like everything has come full circle. The other is back, friends who used to live far away have moved back in to the immediate vicinity, and it feels like High School again. We're back to where we started. We are aimless, directionless, and that conjures up a lot of negative feelings for me. I'm not going to live forever.

Regardless, this was a long post, and I felt it was one of the better ones I've made lately, so I hope you've enjoyed it. Have a nice day folks! Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus