Wednesday, July 15, 2009

To geek or not to geek...

People always struggle with things and for the last while, I've been struggling with what I do. Is it really important for me to focus on all the things that I have learned to do in my past? Or is it alright to super-specialize? I've been wrestling with this for the longest time. Am I really appreciated as an employee, or am I just being used for the things that I can do for them in the time being? Can an employer ever have the best intentions for you at heart or will they always try and handicap you so that it works to their advantage? These are all questions that have no straightforward answer. We humans don't like uncertainty. I for one hate it...

Is it enough for me to be the 'Resident Geek?' Or should I keep trying to push myself into other branches of marketing which I am good at and am more trained than others that may be doing that. If I don't, am I wasting away my potential? The good thing at the end of the day is that I have skills in both of those sets, so sooner or later someone else must see what I am capable of doing and offer me a good opportunity. Sometimes I feel I just have to learn a bit more patience and I'll get rewarded. Time will soon tell.

For the time being, I have acknowledged my inner geek and decided to do whatever it is that I am interested in for the time being. I can keep to my own space. I can write about whats going through my head. I will twitter. And I will have my face on that book...
blog comments powered by Disqus