Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I've gone mobile...

Even though I've literally been living in a box for the last few years, my room has been wireless; with both with wi-fi and Bluetooth. But that just didn't feel enough.

The netbook that I got with my first 'real job' paycheck was the first step. Though Caberra barely has any free wi-fi hotspots, it was handy to have a laptop that was easy to carry to the next wi-fi zone. It was also handy coupled with my camera gear. Compared to the chunky laptop I drag to work everyday, I was more mobile.

Then came the PS3, and the media unleashed. I was now using up my bandwidth playing games, and psudo-socializing in playstation home. I was now able to stream media from my computer to my PS3. At this point my media goes mobile.

Then it was time to get a new cellophone, as I was moving onto a monthly plan. The one thing I realized I needed the most was email on the go. This was fully realized after a week at a conference, and been needind to communicate with work. I was going to get a blackberry, but the sales girl at 3 convinced me to get nokia's E71. The functionality was perfect, reviews were good, and the build quality was fantastic! I've grown to love the phone, and my data plan that came with it. Not only has it increased my productivity, I also have something to kill time on while I wait on things. The keyboard is fantastic, and I can type fast enoungh to reply to emails or whatever else I might need to. The GPS insures that I don't get lost in Sydney, and find my way back home in one piece. Thank god for google aswell, making it even easier. I've gotten very used to this mobility. I'm always connected.

Then I only missed one thing. A touch screen. I had a Sony Ericsson P990i, and an O2 before that; so I missed having a device with those unique functionalities that a touch screen brings. I was also thinkining of was time to replace my iPod mini. The touch and the classic were the contenders. I usually use my iPod as a selection of my library, rather than my entire library. I also really liked the wi-fi and touch functionality enough to warrant an iPod touch purchase. The iPod foundtions are as expected, and I got used to not having the scroll wheel. Web functions are great, and the facebook makes it all worth it. I was skeptical of the on screen keyboard, but I just typed this entire blog on the touch! It's correction system is intuitive, and makes it a pleasant typing experience. I can also use my E71 as a wi-fi hotspot using joikuspot lite. Coupled with my Touch, I am having a wonderful mobile experience. I am also able to spend more time online.

Now nobody can say that they couldn't get in touch with me, I'm on msn, skype, facebook, phone, text, gtalk, twitter, flickr, email - and enough times in a day...

This blog was written lounging infront of the TV on my iPod.

I'll specify my mode of blogging...

Sent from my iPod
blog comments powered by Disqus