Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's always good to know both sides of the story.

Game theory is a very interesting concept. John Nash (for the idiots among you) - the guy who Russel Crowe portrayed in A Beautiful Mind was a proponent of Game Theory. I've written a few posts regarding my thoughts on the Prisoner's Dilemma, which I found to be a very interesting game. However, I do think that it is impossible to rationalise human behaviour and motivations that presuppose the incentives that are being offered. Wow, I had a point that I was trying to make, and it's totally just gone over my head now.

As mentioned, the other has now made me an avid Starcraft 2 fan. It's a really tough game for me, given that my knowledge of tactical matters only extends to games in the Total War series. That relates particularly to micromanagement within a battle. However, when you try to mix macromanagement within an instantaneous setting with micromanagement, I tend to get flummoxed. I just want to concentrate on the battle!! It's thinking like that which makes me awesome at Total War, but pretty mediocre at Starcraft 2. What I am not a fan of is build orders. People tend to memorise a standard or optimal set of buildings for EVERY match. I see this as boring and pointless, and does't allow creative or thoughtful tactics to flourish. This extends to Chess, where a lot of people (including all Grandmasters) have typically memorised most opening combinations, and set their play accordingly. This drags the tactical component out of everything, and just replaces it with a 'who can remember the most' mentality. I think Blizzard should set up some games where you start off with a random set of buildings and you have to get going from there.

It's incredibly addictive. The other and I played a 2v2 match the other night against two AI players. It was ridiculously intense, where it looked like we were going to get steamrolled early. However the other came up with some great on the fly tactics of taking the sneak attacks, while I sat back and played defence, just pumping out units. I covered the entire Southern end of the map and we just mopped up everything else on there and it was beautiful!

I've been getting back into Arrested Development lately. Goddamn, what an awesome show. I had forgotten how great it was!! Honestly, the best comedy ever created. If you ever belonged to a family, you have to watch it.

Anyway, that's it for today folks. Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus