Sunday, January 20, 2008

I said no, oh no!

Milestone today, 400th post on this lovely blog of ours! Considering we've been around for about 3 and a half years, I don't think that's the greatest average, but we're doing our best so I think that's about all you can really ask for.

Do you ever get the feeling that nobody really cares for you? Not just in the superficial asking how you are blahness and the like, but that nobody really cares for you at the core of who they are? That you're fundamentally alone no matter what. There might be love, but how can one person TRULY know and understand someone else? Is it the whole reciprocal nature of it the only reason it even exists?

I think I should probably include my Christmas rant on here before I totally forget. The other day a friend mentioned she was puzzled that even though Christmas is essentially a Christian concept, it thrives in countries where the actual practicing level of christianity is low (people who are Christian in name only) and athiests and agnostics are on the bandwagon with the whole Christmas idea. This annoyed her, as she felt that the whole idea of capitalism and buying meaningless random crap was certainly not the idea behind Christmas, but to go further and rope people who have nothing to do with the holiday into it too was borderline grotesque.

I'm not Jewish, but I'm a man, and I'm sure with time I'd be able to learn some Hebrew, I'd also like some presents and money, so should I have a Bah Mitzvah? No! That may seem silly to some, but I think the analogy works. I guess the fundamental difference is that Christmas seems to have divorced the religious/spiritual meaning of the holiday, and kept its ugly human/money created side so that everyone can get involved.

Celebration of the birth of the religion's prophet, and the three wise men bearing gifts from far away to give to a poor family seems like a very theologous (is that even a freakin' word?) thing that would be central to the religion. But no, it's been pre-empted and monopolised by big corporations, lost in a sea of green and red, and tacky decorations. It's so sad really.

The problem is that this sort of thinking has been ingrained on society now, so if the Church took a stance on the position to remember the holiday for what it really is, you can rest assured they would be ignored by everyone and/or even denounced by some.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I recently learned how to play poker (texas hold-em) and I'm half decent! I can't play draw or stud poker, cause working out odds and probabilities in that is a bit harder for me.

Another serious let down is celebrities supporting causes and asking the middle/lower classes to give up their money (that they desparately need, as the cost of living steadily increases) to help these causes. I was reading the paper today and Isabel Lucas (some B grade soap star) was making a stance about the protection of whales. I thought that was fair enough, but I noticed that the photo shoot mentioned the makers of the clothes she was wearing/modelling (Sass & Bide etc) which is rather expensive fashionista stuff. The hypocrisy of the whole thing made me want to smack her upside the face. But since she's dyed her hair darker and looks a damn sight more attractive, that wouldn't be very nice of me would it?

Ah yes, University is over, my thesis was a roaring success. It was also the single longest piece of writing I've ever attempted, as it stretched to 11395 words. It also covered a large range of topics, from history, to theology, to textual analysis and even law (!). But every who read it loved it and it scored very highly. The last exam I ever took was also the hardest one I have taken in my entire 5 years of university. I also did not sleep the night before. Therefore it was quite tough, but I somehow managed to do awesomely and received a very high mark for the subject (which meant I must have done almost perfectly on the exam, as my assignment mark wasn't too good)!

I've also been inputting various ideas for rhythms and riffs and the like into Guitar Pro, as I'm sure I would forget most of them as a lot of them weren't even written down in any format. After finishing up, I have realised that I have 50+ songs of original material and ideas, and that's just MY stuff. The other would have countless more, and that's not even mentioning the hundreds of covers we can play and our excellent improvisation skills. I swear, something must be done about this, because it's good stuff, and it must be heard.

Well this has been a rather long post, so it should tide you over for a bit until the next post! Have a nice day folks!
blog comments powered by Disqus