Monday, January 04, 2016

The Autopilot Is My Copilot

Well 2015 was better than 2011 on this blog (if only ever so slightly).  Here's to hoping 2016 is somewhat better.  I've had some good ideas, just haven't really been assed to blog, which is a shame.

There's a weird scale of life isn't there?  Not just in terms of memories.  Remember when you were a kid and a few minutes felt like an eternity?  That's because you're young and you don't really have a scale of reference.  You haven't been around long enough to compare timeframes.

I remember when I was 6 and all the 12 year olds at school seemed so gigantic.  Then in high school at age 13, all the 16 year olds seemed so adult like.  Now, looking back, 12 year olds and 16 year olds are all so tiny and child like.  They're so young!  How could I ever think that they were the literal and figurative giants of my youth?  I used to fear them!  Hahaha.

What of life?  Experience scale.  Everyone is different.

I've been using a lot of adaptive cruise control - I love it because you can keep the car in cruise control and it will keep that speed up on hills (up and down), with automatic throttle and engine braking, and because you can adapt the control - like you can drive a bit faster if you need to overtake someone, but if you let go of the accelerator, it will calmly revert back to the original speed.  Really fancy, and I like how it's basically on every car these days.  How times change.

There's a warning, because the car keeps to that speed no matter what, regardless of road conditions.  The car doesn't know.  It will do what it can to maintain that speed, regardless at the cost of your life.  Isn't that what reality and time is?

I also wonder what's more efficient for fuel, cruise control on a cross country trip, or using your own wits?  I also what it does to your mind as a driver?  Are you still paying the same amount of attention to the road?  To passengers?  It'll be interesting to see the stats on fatal accidents where cruise control was involved.  But will we ever know?  Maybe it's not as safe as everyone assumes.

And more questions to go.

We are done here.

Joaquin out.
blog comments powered by Disqus